Squeaky drivetrain

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, need some help!

My drivetrain has started squeaking, I thought it was cos I hadn't cleaned her for a week, so gave her a full on clean and relubed using muc off dry lube. Took her out Sunday and still the same noise. So last night thought need to find out what this is!

When I listen it sounds as if it is in the rear dérailleur, so took out the bottom jockey wheel, cleaned and lubed it! Put it back in and still the same noise! I havnt taken out the top one yet! But when I listened again it still sounds like it is comic from the bottom wheel!

Any thoughts or advise?

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    saddle or seat post is usually the main culprit with mysterious creeks and squeeks

maybe the free hub / bottom bracket / cranks / pedals, but if its all been striped and lubed its not the drive chain
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    If the hub has a rubber cover on ther NDS these can squeak as the wheel rotates. A bit of silicon lube on them usually fixes it.
  • Tried the free hub, spun the wheel in my hands and no squeaks although as pointed out by a mate, can't tell if there is on the drive side!

A rubber cover? All I know is they are mavic hubs! Any help? Was going to check the pedals, but when pedaling to locate the noise it just sounds Defo like its in the rear dérailleur!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Squeaks can come from anywhere (and may happen more when under load i.e. riding hard, not just peddling it in a stand), but if you're not peddling when you ride it then you can narrow it down.