Road tyres for mountain bike

Craig321
Craig321 Posts: 169
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm going on a trip that's going to require me to put some road tyres on my mountain bike.

The wheels can take a minimum of 1.5" tyres.

I'm looking to spend a max of £40 or so for the pair, cheaper if possible please.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    ebay is your friend mate
  • Craig321
    Any makes/models you can suggest?

Thanks.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Not really, they're just road tyres at the end of the day, so slicks of any variety will do the job (well I will be doing just that anyway).
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    This would be my choice for 26 inch slicks and semi-slicks:

1. Schwalbe Marathon Plus
    2. Continental Sport Contact
    3. Maxxis Detonator
    4. Schwalbe CX Comp
    5. Specialized Nimbus
    6. Specialized Fatboy
    7. Innova X-Rated
    8. Schwalbe Big Apple
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bikaholic wrote:
    This would be my choice for 26 inch slicks and semi-slicks:

1. Schwalbe Marathon Plus
    2. Continental Sport Contact
    3. Maxxis Detonator
    4. Schwalbe CX Comp
    5. Specialized Nimbus
    6. Specialized Fatboy
    7. Innova X-Rated
    8. Schwalbe Big Apple
    That isn't a choice, it's a list.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • astormatt
    astormatt Posts: 79
    Maxxis Detonator from next day tyres would be my choice, come in at 1.5" and 40 quid for a pair. (62a silkworms) from memory.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Log onto the Woolyhatshop and buy a pair of these http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Tyres/26-Slick-Tyres/Bronx-Tour-Bike-Road-Tyre-26-x1-75-/prod_2600.html £18 for a pair roll fast are pretty tough and are okay on roads and cycle paths. No point in spending a lot of money on a road tyre as long as its round, black and has some grooves for when it rains thats all you need.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I would recommend the Continental sport contact 1.6. They are fitted as stock on the Boardman range and they know what they're doing. The thing to look out for is weight: I got some Specialized Nimbus and with tubes they were putting 1kg on each wheel, I kid you not. Don't know the weight of the Contis, but had a look at a pair with tubes in lbs today, and I'm guessing 500g each. Look sweet on as well. Wiggle were doing deals including tubes last time I looked. You will need new tubes a) for size and b) will need higher pressures than Schrader valves can cope with. They also do a 1.25 but think this would look a bit skinny. I would avoid going up to 1.75 width: too much drag. With respect to stubs, you don't need grooves on a road tyre, slick is actually better even in wet.
  • stubs
    Russell160 wrote:
    b) will need higher pressures than Schrader valves can cope with.

Would that be the same Schraeder valve that handles 300 psi plus on suspension and much much higher (into the thousands of psi) pressures on hydraulic systems.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yeah, same valve as on your forks/shocks......

Budget choice would be Schwalbe city jets, can be got for just over a tenner each.

Panaracer RiBMo are worth a look, they have a V-shaped tread profile so the contact patch is narrower and they are faster rolling for the same width, only weigh just over 500g each as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Craig321
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the comments & suggestions everyone :)

Think i'll go for those cheap bronx ones or maybe the Schwalbe city jets (I think I saw those in Halfords recently actually for about £25!!!).

What are the Schwalbe road tyres like on semi off road, i.e. a wet cycle path?

Thanks

[Edit]
    Panaracer RiBMo tyres look good, but a bit on the expensive side after seeing what's available for the £10 per tyre mark!
  • stubs
    They are fine on hard surfaces and even gravell but be prepared for your back wheel to overtake the front in anything remotely slippy.
  • Craig321
    Ok, thanks :)

I've gone for the Schwalbe's & some generic inner tubes.