Specialized Hardrock Sport Disk 2011 (part 2)

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited May 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Here’s what it looks like now, with its lovely new Rockshox Recon fork, and the new (wider) handlebars:

Image_03.JPG

Image_04.JPG

If you want to see the original factory specification, see Specialized’s own Hardrock Sport Disk 2011 page. However, mine didn’t come with the standard factory set up: as noted elsewhere, and probably something to do with being one of the last of the 2011 models, it has 9-speed SLX shifters and rear mech, which is a Rockhopper spec. Anyway, my mods are . . .
    Bolt-on/stick-on/tie-on extras : Crudcatcher mudguard, front and rear lights, two Specialized bottle cages, strips of retroreflective tape in one or two places
    Gear shifters : I took the optical displays off, because I don’t believe anyone has ever looked at them on a moving bike
    Fork : Rockshox Recon Gold – coil sprung with the extra firm spring, 100mm of travel. Supplied and tuned by TF Tuned Suspension, with a Poploc remote. I need to get a bit of red outer cable for this! This has made it a different bike – it’s so much lighter and smoother
    Stem : 70mm Race Face Ride, down from the 100mm stock item for a more comfortable position
    Bars : Answer 780 DH riser, cut down to 720mm after a bit of trial and error. Much more comfortable! (And lighter, despite the original being 25.4mm and 640mm wide) The red stripe had nothing to do with it
    Spacers : 30mm of Hope spacers under the stem, up 10mm from the factory set up. Another 10mm above the stem so I don’t have to cut the steerer
    Grips : Specialized lock-on grips – fatter and softer
    Front mech : SLX – this was an utterly pointless change, I hardly ever use the front mech. I just found one on a special offer, and somehow convinced myself to get it because I wanted “all SLX gearing”. Works nicely, though
For the future, I’m considering replacing the stock Avid BB5 brakes with Shimano Deore hydraulics – I hope they’ll be a bit less temperamental (The Avids work OK, but they keep needing to be adjusted)
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    very nice, nice bar too, very comfy those enduro xl grips , you do realise you have them on backwards, not that it really matters i suppose :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Giraffoto
    chez_m356 wrote:
    you do realise you have them on backwards

Nope, hadn't realized that - I looked around for a picture and the first one I came across had them on that way. Thanks for the tip, I'll flip them round and see if I go any faster!
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • chez_m356
    Giraffoto wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    you do realise you have them on backwards

Nope, hadn't realized that - I looked around for a picture and the first one I came across had them on that way. Thanks for the tip, I'll flip them round and see if I go any faster!
    oh you will, the hard edge of the lockring enables it to cut through the air quicker :lol: i have them on mine,but with the spesh alloy endcap instead of lockring, they will only go on one way with those
  • You do not have the grips on backwards - the lock ring on the enduro grips is meant to be on the inside I believe

Whether or not it makes a great deal of difference is another thing entirely

BTW I just noticed - your brake levers are different to those that came on my bike. Mine has non-branded silver levers, yours seems to have the grey/black avid bb5 branded levers. Mine are the stock ones so looks like you have received a slight upgrade here as well as the SLX kit lol :D

Fork upgrade looks great BTW
  • Giraffoto
    I just noticed - your brake levers are different to those that came on my bike. . . . looks like you have received a slight upgrade here as well

I forgot all about the brake levers! Someone recommended them to me as far better than the stock levers, and I put them on there within about a week of getting the bike. They do feel noticeably better too, and came in at about £17 for the pair.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Ah I see, makes sense now!

I actually considered doing the same and getting some avid levers when I first got the bike since they are fairly cheap, and I was told they have some adjustablity that the stadard ones do not have but not sure if thats true?

Besides looking and feeling better,do you think they are any lighter at all?
  • Giraffoto
    They might be a bit lighter, but the main advantage I find is the ability to alter the leverage that you get when you use them - the standard lever doesn't have this. It's the sort of thing you set once and then leave it when it's just how you like it. Unfortunately, the caliper is nothing like as easy to please as the lever and wants to be adjusted after just about every ride: this, more than anything else, is what's going to drive me towards hydraulics!
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • chez_m356
    You do not have the grips on backwards - the lock ring on the enduro grips is meant to be on the inside I believe
    you believe wrongly, if you use the solid end caps like myself, its impossible to have the lock on the inside, look here to see what i mean http://flic.kr/p/b5ssd2
  • Giraffoto
    I managed to get a great deal on a set of Deore M596 brakes, albeit with the hoses on the wrong sides. These were the work of moments to fit and to align - compared to a rim brake they're virtually plug-and-play - and then Buckingham Bikes of Aylesbury did a superb job of shortening and swapping the hoses round for me. Here's how they compare with the BB5 cable disks:
    • Much more powerful for a given lever pressure
    • Easier to align
    • More clearance from the disk when they're not applied
    • Quieter
    They may also be lighter, and I'm guessing they won't need the regular adjustment that the BB5s demand to continue performing at their best. As a bonus, the BB5s went on eBay last night along with the Speed Dial 7 brake levers and they all went at the Buy It Now price within twelve hours!
    XM-057 rigid 29er