Portsdown Hill Course

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited April 2012 in Amateur race
Has anyone raced the portsdown hill course? I'm doing the Fareham Wheelers RR this weekend, interested to know what the climb is like? I think it's the same course they use for the Perfs.
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• It's a tough course and only the strongest will be in the mix at the finish.

The climb isn't a long one - probably around 750m but it is pretty steep towards the top and the run up to it will be at full tilt. The run along the top is ok, but gradually rises up, then the descent from the roundabout is very fast - 45 - 50mph is likely! :shock: After the next turn, its quick and you come to a narrow bridge, immediately followed by a sharp right hand bend - take care here!

Good luck.
  • mclarent
    Cheers man, appreciate the info. Sounds fun, looking forward to it now!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • How did it go?
  • mclarent
    It was good, tough like you said. Unfortunately I dropped my chain at the bottom of the hill on the 2nd lap, lost position and consequently missed the break of 15(!) They stayed away, I was undergeared for the bunch but managed 6th for 22nd place (=21st loser).

3 hour drive home was not so fun though...
  • That's tough luck dropping your chain at that place, but sounds like you still had a good ride. There are usually a lot of DNFs on this tough course, so that's a great result. There is another 2/3 race planned on this course in July if you fancy coming back for another go!
  • mclarent
    Might just do that! New baby on the way, so we'll have to see... Thanks for the heads up!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    I also rode this race, it was a tough headwind after the climb which i think is why the break didn't split up much, myself and my team mate probably did the lions share of the work in the break, my team mate got 2nd after someone who had sat on for most of the race got a jump on us on the last climb and stayed away to the finish, when he went i tried to react but started to cramp up(probably due to racing twice at Hillingdon the day before) but managed to get 5th, 3 points and I'll be 2nd cat, can't come soon enough
  • mclarent
    Nice one. Given the gap you ended with I'd assumed you were working more as a unit, but sounds like some guys werent pulling their weight*. Gutted i missed the split, but rule five applies i guess. I read the report on BC, left me wondering what race he was watching. Or I was. *confused*

*like in the bunch.
  • I was there too. I thought both you Guernsey riders rode really well and were unlucky to miss out on the win.

Likewise the report on the BC website didn’t quite tie in with my experience. From my point of view the race went like this. At the end of the first lap, before the hill I’d done a short turn on the front (I need to be near the front – not the best climber!). A couple of riders came through, but with no one on their wheel. They just rode off the front. Two others then jumped across. After the left turn and the start of the climb a couple more jumped. At the bridge I decided to go with them, caught them, went straight through, checked behind to find I’d dropped them. I was closing on the four though, so carried on and caught them at the steep, left, right chicane. I then just sat in hoping to recover for the prime – on reflection I’m not sure any of them realised there was a prime on that lap, so after kicking as hard as I could ended up taking it easily. After this we five regrouped and started working as a unit along the top of the ridge. Graham Robins has photo’s at this point with the bunch in the background with two or three riders trying to bridge the gap, No’s 67 to 80 odd.

I think by the end of the ridge, a large number of riders had joined us. At the time I assumed it was the bunch. However these riders seemed keen to keep the pace high. This must have been where the break of fifteen formed. The next (third) time up the hill was pretty hectic; I was having difficulty holding wheels. I think some, erroneously, thought this was a prime lap.

The fourth time up the hill we just rode through the prime. I was at the back blocked in otherwise I would have sprinted for it. I’m glad about who it went to as I think he was part of the original break and was continuing to do his fair share.

It was becoming obvious that there were two or three at the back doing FA work. Anyway this situation continued until the final lap where the two London Dynamo (or Python? Blue/black kit anyway) and two Guernsey riders kept the pace high (almost riding into the back of an ice-cream van that had ignored all the red flags at the top roundabout). The first attack came from Nigel Williams just before the left turn at the base of the climb. When I responded to this acceleration both my calves instantly cramped up. I realised from a personal point of view it was now a damage limitation exercise, having to ride the entire hill on the edge of cramp. I blame the fact it was my first road race of the year….

Well done to all who took part and thanks to David Young, Fareham Wheelers and everyone else that made the race possible.

Simon Healey (Andover Wheelers)