Fresh tarmac

geoffgomez
geoffgomez Posts: 34
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Out yesterday and suddenly noticed I was zipping along in blissful silence; council had put a fresh road surface on a couple of miles of one of my favourite loops. Anyway my Mrs really didn't understand when I was trying to explain why this was such a great thing so I had to post here. Love riding on fresh tarmac :D

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    It is a nice feeling.

Just be careful when it gets really sunny and hot as no doubt some of the oil will seep to the surface, which won't be grippy.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Wow! I've heard rumours of such a thing but thought it was one of those myths.. :P
  • The stuff of dreams!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Was driving in Warwickshire... the roads near Lemington Spa going over to towards the M45 and M1 are incredible.

Then as soon as you cross back into Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire your car is filled road noise, and you're shaken to bits by potholes..

The local high way maintenance seem to have made the method there they just dump a load of tar over the current surface, and cover it in chips their favourite resurfacing method :x

I envy anyone that gets to ride on 1/2 decent tarmac... let alone a full new smooth surface!
  • jonsi
    jonsi Posts: 44
    I know exactly what you mean!

Where I live there is about a mile and a half of an uphill slog to get home which up until recently had the most horrendous surface to ride on and you would get shaken about and couldn't build up any momentum. The council then resurfaced the last mile or so and it is almost a pleasure to ride it now - even carrying my excess weight!!
  • This is one of the things that we really get spoiled with here in Dubai.

There are not that many safe places to ride, but when we do ride, the roads are perfect - really smooth and well constructed.

There are downsides, with crazy drivers, sand storms and the incredible heat in summer......but the roads....lovely.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - this was filmed last week....

http://youtu.be/aGo7PFk_vUQ?hd=1

(wasn't going to post it, but now someone else has mentioned the joy of a new smooth stretch of tarmac)

brand new stretch between East Leake and Bunny: 3/4 mile of buttery smooth surface. It takes WAY less effort to cycle on this stretch and Endomondo does show the lower time along there.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Yup - this was filmed last week....

http://youtu.be/aGo7PFk_vUQ?hd=1

(wasn't going to post it, but now someone else has mentioned the joy of a new smooth stretch of tarmac)

brand new stretch between East Leake and Bunny: 3/4 mile of buttery smooth surface. It takes WAY less effort to cycle on this stretch and Endomondo does show the lower time along there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAwJDHi-dLuxeIf6T962iQBttNGHRSue2FEqzrokOZZOFVYS4uBQ

*Wonders if Vesterberg 'll click on http://youtu.be/aGo7PFk_vUQ?hd=1* :wink:
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Smooth fresh tarmac, a male cyclists dream. OTOH rough as f**k tarmac (as in Jacksdale/ironville) is a female cyclists orgasm. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They've recently done some long bits on the A466 down to Chepstow. I thought I had a puncture; not used to getting no feedback from the tyres!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    fresh tarmac - my friend work for EDF - let me know where it is and we can get it dug up in a matter of weeks
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,582
    They did a section on Victoria embankment a few weeks ago. Turned it into a skating rink.

Two or 3 of the commuter lot fell off there, and witnessed many more.
  • Smooth fresh tarmac, a male cyclists dream. OTOH rough as f**k tarmac (as in Jacksdale/ironville) is a female cyclists orgasm. :lol:

Still love the old joke; two nuns cycling home take a shortcut down a cobbled street, one says to the other "I've never come this way before".
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    Top dressing on the A332 into Windsor Sunday. Loose gravel and the speeding Clarkson-brains was like riding through shrapnel. Freezing headwind too (both directions! wtf?) :evil:
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    What you need is a ProTour race. They just did the Bemelerberg a couple of weeks before the Amstel Gold Race. It's lovely now. :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs