Noisy disc brakes

allen-uk
allen-uk Posts: 146
edited April 2012 in The workshop
Hello there.

I've got nice efficient cable-operated disc brakes on my front wheel, and the only problem is that they are so NOISY! Sound like metal fingers being scraped across a metal blackboard.

When I'm just pushing the bike up my path, people look out of their windows - I've tried replacing the pads, but still they rub and rub as you turn the wheel. I've tried adjusting them so they're AWAY from the discs, but because of their self-correcting nature, after a few minutes they're back in contact.

You can cure it on the road by giving the front brake a quick jab, then it goes away for a while.

Any long-term solution, or is this common for front discs? The bike's a Wisper, which I know is a bit outlandish, but unlike most electrics it's built like a tank - no expense spared!

Any help appreciated.

Allen, London.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited April 2012
    Oil them.

This is really sh1t advice and I would not recommend that anyone oils their brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • allen-uk
    Oil what? Not the pads, surely?

A
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry, my fine print was to small. Now edited.
    Generally all you can do is adjust them Discs can squeal. Metal on metal though? - do the pads still have material?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • allen-uk
    No, almost brand-new pads, and they squealed again from day one (or maybe day two, but pretty quickly).

A
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Dont oil your brake pads. That was a JOKE response. Funny HA HA. Oil will make your brakes slippery and they will NEVER STOP and you will CRASH and DIE. HORRIBLY.
    ARE WE CLEAR!!!!!!

Good. Now try bedding in your brakes.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    adjust the calipers on the forks a bit to ensure the disc runs dead centre and take out the pads and give 'em a very light sanding to clear off any bits of crud and provide a bit of a key. When you put it all back together ensure the disc runs equally between the pads and when you apply the brakes that the pistons both engage and move properly.

They can squeal a bit in the cold though whatever you do.

Oh and don't oil them :P

but if the noise doesn't stop just run them with out the pads in :twisted: (another joke)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    adjust the calipers on the forks a bit to ensure the disc runs dead centre and .....

A good technique for this is to loosen the caliper mount bolts. Then do them up again while holding the brake on. Once the caliper is tight, you can release the brake and the caliper should be as centred on the disc as it should be.

Won't necessarily fix the problem though! The calipers might need servicing or replacing.
    Faster than a tent.......