Hope calliper adaptor - am I missing something?

jamiestogden
jamiestogden Posts: 52
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all

I've got a front Mono Mini brake (calliper number 3) that I'm trying to set up on a new set of Rockshox Reba RL forks with a post mount.

Hope recommended the HBSM20H adaptor and explained that I would need to increase the size of rotor to compensate.

I've just installed the adaptor and the new rotor but it just doesn't fit. The rotor touches the inside of the calliper and only just clears the mount by around 1mm meaning that the wheel just doesn't turn. If I try and fit the adaptor the other way around it sits too far away.

6928452010_4b45db48bb.jpg

Thanks in advance and if I'm being stupid please forgive me :D

Jamie

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    turn the mount round
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Thanks in advance and if I'm being stupid please forgive me
    turn the mount round

If thats the reason then I fear there can be no forgiving.. :oops:
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The orientation of the adapter is correct.

Double check that the wheel is properly and firmly attached.

If the rotor is slightly too big for the caliper, then place washers under the adapter to pad it out.

Assume, that you have loosely attached everything:

The PM holes in the adapter are a sort of oval shape - so, loosen the bolts and pull the adapter outwards and then bolt them down.

Then attach the caliper and shim it with washers to centralise the caliper slot with the rotor if necessary.
  • Few! Glad the orientation was right, not sure I would have been able to show my face around here again :)

Anyway, all in and looks ok with clearance both inside the top of the calliper and from the adaptor. However, left with a new issue, the new rotor just looks too thick, there's no clearance between rotor and pads on either side. I thought all rotors would have been the same thickness (it's from Superstar, had one of their 180mm rotors before with no probs). Any ideas?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Use a screwdriver to push the pads apart - then pump the brakes a few times with the wheel and rotor in place. They just need to realign to the new rotor
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Greer_ wrote:
    Use a screwdriver to push the pads apart - then pump the brakes a few times with the wheel and rotor in place. They just need to realign to the new rotor

if you are doing this, make sure you put the screwdriver BEHIND the baking plate, or you can chip the pad material off and ruin the pads.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No you're better to ruin pads than pistons. Just take care
  • Thanks for all your help guys. Removed pads from brake and pushed pistons back with a plastic tyre lever (as per Hope instructions). Then spent more time playing with spacers than I would usually admit to on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon and I've got it sorted. Finally. Phew!

Once again, thanks for help and advice. :D