New hardtail for daughter

handsome devil
handsome devil Posts: 194
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have been researching a new mtb for my 12 year old daughter. She has really taken to mtb and rides a Giant Revel W3 at present. Its fine for light use (bridleways, Haldon blue route, canal towpaths, etc) but does have a very cheap, crude Suntour fork and is on the heavy side (but it is a £300 bike).

I am looking for something more suited to some (fairly gentle) red routes such as Haldon, Ashton Court, etc that will generally stand a bit more abuse!

I realise opinions will vary wildly but she is very much into what the bikes look like :roll: being female and I am finding this difficult to overcome :?

I do have the following in mind;

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ct_id=1836

or

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 10193.aspx

as they both feature semi decent forks (RS Recon). However, I am seeking the opinions of the masses as to viable alternatives. Others she likes the look of include Marin Bear Valley (£399 from Winstanleys) but features Suntour XCM fork and Ghost Miss 1200 but also has a rather crude Suntour fork.

Any views????
2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you're considering the Marin, then the Carrera Vulcan is better bike for less money on the same forks, but may not look nice enough.

The Voodoo range may be good looking 'enough' and offer great value for money with a good spec at the price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would widen your search from womens bikes to all, just find one that fits and maybe change the saddle. Gives far more options.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Smaller frame, than if a boy. And make sure the 'length' is tweakable. Man bikes will give much better vfm, only downside is they're not as cute.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    What size frame does she need? Being a bit of a short-@rse myself and a girl (although about three times older than your daughter....), I have been here before looking for smaller frames that look nice. I'll have a hunt and see what I can find 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thanks for the feedback. I think I will include any bike in a smaller frame size as that will broaden the options. The Carrera does look good value - I'll check out our local Halfords tomorrow.

She is 5' 3" so I was considering either 15" or 17" frames.

All feedback appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At 5'3" a 17" is far to big.....

Depending on the balance of leg length to torso/arm length she'll want somewhere between 13 an 15", maybe a 16" at a push. My daughter is 5'4" and rides a 13" although you may want to go up a little to allow for future growth.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    At 5'3" a 17" is far to big.....

Depending on the balance of leg length to torso/arm length she'll want somewhere between 13 an 15", maybe a 16" at a push. My daughter is 5'4" and rides a 13" although you may want to go up a little to allow for future growth.

This. 17 inch frames are good up to about 5'11, so unless you think your daughter will grow that tall soon (or infact anytime) you should be avoiding such big frames. I would say a 14 or 15 is as big as you should be thinking,
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Fred0527
    Fred0527 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will include any bike in a smaller frame size as that will broaden the options. The Carrera does look good value - I'll check out our local Halfords tomorrow.
    g.gif
  • Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

As The Beginner advised, I popped into our local Halfords and checked out the Boardman Fi HT Comp. Normally £749.99, discounted to £649.99 at present and I found a further 10% voucher so now £584.99 :D

In addition to this a futher £19 via Quidco so the bottom line is £566. Great spec for the cash. My daughter really liked it. She tried a medium (17") which was too big so I will probably go for the Small (15").

Spec as follows;

Approximate Weight (KG): 13.3
    Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
    Chainset: FSA Alpha Drive
    Fork Lock-out : Yes
    Forks: 100mm Suntour Epicon air suspension fork with adjustable rebound damping and lockout
    Forks - Adjustable damping : Yes
    Frame Colour: White
    Frame Material: Alloy
    Frame-: Lightweight 6061 triple butted aluminium frame
    Front Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes 160mm rotor
    Front Mech: SRAM X5
    Gear Shifters: SRAM X5
    Handle Bars: Boardman 31.8mm alloy low-rise
    Headset: FSA 1 1/8 Aheadset
    Hubs: Formula 32 hole Q/R disc hub
    Number of Gears: 27
    Pedals: Wellgo alloy body
    Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes 160mm rotor
    Rear Mech: SRAM X5
    Rims: Alex double wall black 32 hole disc rim with CNC braking surface
    Saddle: Boardman womens white with cro-moly rails
    Seatpost: Boardman 350mm x 31.6mm black alloy
    Stem: Boardman black alloy 90mm x 31.8mm
    Suspension: Front
    Tyre size: 2.20"
    Tyres: Continental Mountain King 26x2.2
    Wheel size: 26"
    Frame Size: 15-16
    Exact Frame Size: 15"

Can anyone suggest anything that beats this for the same money 8) ?

Bit hesitant regarding Halfords putting it together but hope for the best should I take the plunge :roll:
  • cooldad
    Nice bike. Don't worry about Halfords, just give it a check over before riding - which I would do with a bike from anywhere anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Thats a good bike for the money. Buy it, she'll love you forever. You however will regret it for ever as MTBing is even more expensive than a shoe habit (as you are probably aware).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Only just seen the replies to this - totally agree about the sizing, I ride a 14" / 15" frame (and i'm 5ft 4"). A small frame will be fine and then you can tweak as necessary :D

For what it's worth I think the Boardmans sound like a great buy - I have heard nothing but good reviews.

And also agree with benpinnick - if only I had a shoe habit instead, it would save me a bloody fortune :oops: :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:
    Thats a good bike for the money. Buy it, she'll love you forever. You however will regret it for ever as MTBing is even more expensive than a shoe habit (as you are probably aware).
    On the other hand, and one of the reasons I encourage thel33ter, is that it's cheaper than a crack habit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks to everyone for their opinions, views, etc. We visited a local Halfords and my daughter had a ride on a small size Boardman Fi HT Comp and loved it. Sizing seems to be right. Spec is great and with some slight alterations (lever positioning, saddle height, etc) it seems perfect for our needs.

Here is a pic outside Halfords (check out the big grin);

16042012140.jpg

Felix - Nice find but too late as we bought the Boardman yesterday.
    Benpinnick - I can already see me becoming poorer as time goes on and the addiction takes hold :)
    Coodad - The build seems okay, some of the bolts appeared to be over-tightened but I have re-torqued so all appears to be well now.

Here`s to many great rides up at the Quantocks, Ashton Court, Haldon, etc, etc..... :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nice the bike looks good.

Did you change the front brake cable routing after the pic? In the pic it's not right.
  • Not sure what you mean Chunkers :?

I have checked and it`s routed down the rear left side lower fork leg and appears to look correct. In fact all the cable routing looks neater than both my Stumpy FSR and my Whyte 905 :shock: