Kinesis Racelight TK - size?

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

I currently ride a 56cm CAAD9. feel very well fitted to it: Looking at a racelight TK and I instantly thought about a 57cm. However, when comparing the geometry, it looks like a 54 would be more in-line with the 56 CAAD.

Only thing is, I am 6' 1" so a 54 seems very "small" on paper, but is only 0.4cm shorter in the top tube and 0.5cm lower in the head tube.

the 57cm would be 0.7cm longer in the head tube and 2cm higher in the headtube.

Currently have an 11cm stem on CAAD.

The wheelbase would actually still be less for the 54cm kinesis over my current CAAD.

Thoughts

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a Tk but I'm smaller than you; 5'6" and 31" inside leg

They do have long top tubes, and I ended up with a smaller frame that I expected, and a flipped stem. (51cm, fitted by Epic)

When I bought over 4 years ago they were 'winter trainers'. I gather the head tubes are now a bit taller and they are aimed at the 'sportive' rider.
  • JLC
    JLC Posts: 39
    I am 5ft10 and have just built up a 54cm racelight T2. As someone has just said the headtubes have increased in size recently which helped me get the fit I wanted. My other bike is a 55cm Wilier Mortirolo and I haver managed to get exactly the same fit on the 54cm Racelight as the 55cm Wilier.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    5'10" and the 54cm T2 fits me spot on with a 100mm stem and a tasteful amount of seatpost showing, I suspect you'll need the 57cm but couldn't be certain.

re: wheelbase - with my size 9 feet, 25c tyres and 172.5mm cranks I can just avoid toe overlap with the front wheel sans mudguards. If that's an issue for you then longer would probably be better.
  • keef66
    Despite tiddly size 7 feet I have toe overlap on mine, but you soon remember not to try steering in small circles and pedalling at the same time.

I find the handling quite lively for a 'winter' bike
  • JimboPlob
    JimboPlob Posts: 397
    Its a tough one. I guess its either the 54 with a 12cm stem and lots of seat-post showing (I have a 815 BB to saddle top saddle height).

Or a 57cm with a 10cm stem and not so much seat post showing.

Toe-overlap could be a small concern I guess. I have size 11 feet. But isn't toe overlap really only an issue when turn sharp bends at slow speeds?

The wheelbase is 0.5cm longer on the 54cm over my 56cm CAAD, but the chain-stay length is 1.5cm shorter. Does that mean effectively, the front wheel would be 1cm closer to the BB on the 54cm kinesis over the 56cm CAAD??

Thanks
  • JLC
    JLC Posts: 39
    I have the 54cm and have a 75cm from bb to top of saddle height. It looks just about spot on in terms of looks. I would suspect that having a higher saddle height would look strange. I suspect a 57cm would be better.
  • Dali D
    Dali D Posts: 4
    Hi there,

First time poster on the site.

I purchased the TK3 build set last week after much deliberation and advice from friends.

Love the bike think it looks great... however...

I'm 178cm tall, with a 30" inseam.

On the day of purchase I was pretty much hurriedly 'fitted' for the bike, and concluded that I should have the 51 frame.

Since picking up the bike last week, I had a 50 mile ride on Saturday, and 4 x 24 mile round trip commute to work, and I'm completely convinced that I should have received the 54 Frame.

I have the seat as far back as it can possibly go so that my knee aligns with the centre axis of the pedal as advised.

I also have one hell of a toe cross over as the bike is a 51 frame.

Dom the designer from Kinesis confirmed I should have been fitted for the 54 frame at least.

I've just called the retailer who tells me it may be hard to change the frame now that I have ridden the bike!!

(Please note that this is my first real road bike, so their advice at the time was gospel - they also did not offer me to test ride the bike on my arrival)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, and do you agree/think I should have been fitted for the larger frame?

Any thoughts would be appreciated ahead of my taking the bike to the retailer this Saturday.

Thanks all...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Dali D wrote:
    I have the seat as far back as it can possibly go so that my knee aligns with the centre axis of the pedal as advised.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, and do you agree/think I should have been fitted for the larger frame?

Any thoughts would be appreciated ahead of my taking the bike to the retailer this Saturday.

Unless the larger frame has a shallower seat tube angle (eg 73 vs 74 degrees), the issue you have with the saddle going back as far as possible has nothing to do with frame size.

I have toe overlap on my Condor frame and it has never bothered me.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Dali D
    drlodge wrote:
    Dali D wrote:

Unless the larger frame has a shallower seat tube angle (eg 73 vs 74 degrees), the issue you have with the saddle going back as far as possible has nothing to do with frame size.

I have toe overlap on my Condor frame and it has never bothered me.

I feel I also have the seat back as the TT is too short for me. I was on a friends 56 frame Trek last night, and it made me realise just how small my TK3 actually was. I kno they're different bikes, but it made the TK3 feel like a kids bike afterwards! Incidentally, my mate is only 3cm taller at 181cm.
  • keef66
    edited May 2013
    If they value your custom they really should swap the frame for you. However, if they don't...

I'm 4cm shorter than you but have a 31" inseam, so have more legs / less torso. I test rode the 54; it was fine in terms of saddle height / setback, but it felt just a bit of a stretch to the bars. Might have been partly cos I was coming from a MTB.

So I ended up with a 51, which meant a bit more seat post, and a short, flipped stem to bring the bars up and closer.

You might just need a seatpost with a bit more setback and a longer stem to get you comfy?

Edit; I cocked up with my maths, you're 10 cm taller than me so I'd say you need a 54 at least...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If the frame is too small, moving the seat post back is not a proper fix - the right position of the seat should be determined first, then the position of the bars. That means fitting a longer stem, but a stem can only be so long.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • williamac
    williamac Posts: 71
    Hi

I'm 6' with a 32 or 33 inseam. did have a TK2 for which I was fitted at Epic cycles (top class service by the way - highly recommended) and came out with a 57 with 100 stem, so would think a 57 would ne more your size

william
  • Dali D
    Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback... really appreciated, and if anything, I've learned a huge amount subsequent and driven from this problem.

The retailer stood by thier opinion without doing an actual full bike fit for me (which I found very frustrating as they didnt offer any advice or evidence to warrant their case) - which left me with a huge element of doubt as to whether my opinion and everyone elses was incorrect.

They are, however, seemigly willing to change the frame and transefer the components! Good news I suppose.

However, I decided to visit another Kinesis dealer last evenng, who kindly spent 70 minutes sizing me, had me on a trainer, ran through various setups depending on my level of experience and use for the bike.

Long story short... he also confirmed that I should go for the 54 (could possibly fit a 57) but the 54 would be comfortable and stable enough with the slightly larger wheel base, and still allow an agressive cycling position.

I just wish the retailer who I purchased the bike from had taken the time with me that the second shop spent with me last night! - Lesson learned!!

Dali