Sardines are disgusting.

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Who the hell eats that crap?

It's got guts, crap and spine still in it, only thing they've done is chop the head off. I nearly vomited cutting it up to inspect the insides. Could have used it in a biology class inspecting the anatomy of a fish.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Do you think there might be tins of sardines out there with just the heads in?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Well, if you will try to melt them down with a mars bar, what do you expect ?
    :wink:

Personally, I love them. They're easy to prepare and take no time to cook on the BBQ. I've got a bag full of them in the freezer, complete with heads.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Get a tin of bonless, whack some fresh chopped chillis on them on some toasted bread.

A bit of mayo too if you're feeling hungry.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    team47b wrote:

Used to be called pilchards here and sold in tins, now after foreign holidays taken by Brits they have now adapted the name sardines, named after the Island of Sardinia.
    Oily fish that is good for you but I must say I have never taken to them like some people have, maybe it’s because I still have my ration book and remember the rusty tins with the little beggars packed into them like London commuters.
    Where about are you in Portugal ‘team’ as I do quite a lot of cycling there to as well as down the lovely Swordfish steaks. Now there’s a fish to eat. :P
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Get a tin of bonless, whack some fresh chopped chillis on them on some toasted bread.

A bit of mayo too if you're feeling hungry.

This, you can get them with chillis in the can, but this is probably better. You just have to avoid looking at them too hard.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The best ones around are the John West grilled ones with extra lemon in the can or just as they are. I always debone as I am a bit funny about the bones. Sardines taste great, are high in protein and Omega 3, and dead cheap. What's not to like?

My fav recovery food is a sardine and tomato doorstep sarnie (lot's of salt and pepper) and a pint of milk. yum yum.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    willhub wrote:

It's got guts, crap and spine still in it, only thing they've done is chop the head off. I nearly vomited cutting it up to inspect the insides. Could have used it in a biology class inspecting the anatomy of a fish.

Utterly fantastic - vomitus caused by small fish. Brilliant. But at the same time bewildering.

Sardines are fantastic - get them as fresh as you can throw them on the barbie. Throw some fresh mackeral on there as well while you're at it, fresh green salad with onions and big fat tomatos, loads of freezing cold Muscadet: utterly wonderful. Wash down with huge plate of salami and some chilled peasant red. Double espresso, Gauloises, snuggle up with Victoria: sorted.

Will - go and order some whitebait next time you make it past Maccy D/steak in water - enjoy. I think that it may be your thing.

Now anchovies - they are vile disgusting filth. The vomit of the oceans, the sickness of the sea.

As an aside - Will: you are at a technical college, so I'm assuming that you are over 18 - has it really taken this long to discover sardines? Sheesh man, theres a whole world of food out there for you to get indignant/nauseous about.
  • team47b
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Used to be called pilchards here and sold in tins, now after foreign holidays taken by Brits they have now adapted the name sardines, named after the Island of Sardinia.
    Oily fish that is good for you but I must say I have never taken to them like some people have, maybe it’s because I still have my ration book and remember the rusty tins with the little beggars packed into them like London commuters.
    Where about are you in Portugal ‘team’ as I do quite a lot of cycling there to as well as down the lovely Swordfish steaks. Now there’s a fish to eat. :P

Pera, a small village with cobbled streets, middle of the Algarve, 3k from coast, 25k from the 'proper' hills, 'cold' and windy today 20c, had 5 wet days in the last 365, so great place for cycling :D
  • willhub wrote:

Do'nt be a "PUSSY" ......... there full of protein...best fresh and on the barbi
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mash them up with a bit of ketchup, mayo, chilli powder and some grated cheese. Spread on wholemeal toast and grill till it sizzles. Yummy!

Wish I hadn't done that. I'm stuck at my desk with a satsuma :(
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Yes but are they worse or better than "Steak in water?"
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Yes but are they worse or better than "Steak in water?"

Not just any steak in water mind, but his mum's steak in water ........
  • Ron Stuart
    team47b wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Pera, a small village with cobbled streets, middle of the Algarve, 3k from coast, 25k from the 'proper' hills, 'cold' and windy today 20c, had 5 wet days in the last 365, so great place for cycling :D

We stay in Burgau to the west, I know Pera and more the hills inland. Photo of me taken up the Malhao near Salir 45mins before Richie Porte blitzed the race and took the yellow in this years Volta ao Algarve, fantastic weather, food, roads and we took in a couple of finishes watching the race develop in a cafe then walked round to see them finishing, it was brill.
    428322_10150733817699524_527244523_11637493_285572134_n.jpg
  • team47b
    @Ron Stuart

We have also cycled up to Salir on that very road, and will be doing again soon. Cycled to Burgau (Nice hill!) last summer on the way to Sagres & Cabo sao vicente. Done a fair bit of the Etapas de Volta ao Algarve, crossed the finish line in Lagoa stage two (on hybrids with trailers!) amused the crowd, Mrs T did a late sprint and crossed the finish line ahead of me with arm raised and one finger, I think she meant she was number one :D

Sorry about thread stealing
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    http://summertomato.com/6-reasons-to-eat-more-sardines/
    Sardines are yummy. Eat the bones in tinned sardines and to use a cliche man up. :wink:
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Ron Stuart
    team47b wrote:
    @Ron Stuart

We have also cycled up to Salir on that very road, and will be doing again soon. Cycled to Burgau (Nice hill!) last summer on the way to Sagres & Cabo sao vicente. Done a fair bit of the Etapas de Volta ao Algarve, crossed the finish line in Lagoa stage two (on hybrids with trailers!) amused the crowd, Mrs T did a late sprint and crossed the finish line ahead of me with arm raised and one finger, I think she meant she was number one :D

Sorry about thread stealing

Was it this one?

538797_10150793799994524_527244523_11871681_1430240202_n.jpg

Didn't have a Lagos finish this year, shame.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    sardines on toast, flippin lovely, sild or brisling even better
  • team47b
    @Ron Stuart

No it was a different stage, Mrs T would not have needed to sprint on that one, she would have beaten me hands down on that hill :oops:

couldn't see you in this photo, they must have got there too late and missed you!

http://www.steephill.tv/volta-ao-algarve/#tv-schedule
  • Ron Stuart
    team47b wrote:
    @Ron Stuart

No it was a different stage, Mrs T would not have needed to sprint on that one, she would have beaten me hands down on that hill :oops:

couldn't see you in this photo, they must have got there too late and missed you!

http://www.steephill.tv/volta-ao-algarve/#tv-schedule

I was with Rusty Morris 'Sky's' all time greatest traveling fan waiting under his Sky Team banner with 1km to go. We were informed that Cummings won the stage by a nearby Tour Photographer and Rusty went nuts. Cummings took over yellow but alas lost it to Tony Martin in the final TT stage.
    405495_10150534380419524_527244523_10912088_967816100_n.jpg
    He was a bit 'cream crackered' as they say.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    In Portugal, "the dogs". With Fado.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • team47b
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    In Portugal, "the dogs". With Fado.

você pensaria que eu iria entender isso, mas eu não!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    team47b wrote:

I think you can still get them as pilchards - and sardines isn't a new name for them.

Anyway, lots of variations on the theme - I have a little tin of makerel in the fridge and there is Sild as well which is a Norwegian variant on the pilchard. All very tasty either way and useful brain food.......

Whilst we are on tasty fish - is there anything fishy nicer than rollmop herring?

PS - anchovies = finest pizza topping 8)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    + many for fresh grilled sardines,wood BBQ,on sourdough
    -millions for tinned ones
    OP- pizza is never any good without anchovies-how do they fillet them,qualifies for the worst job in the world.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Woss 'appenin ? thought we were talking about sardines.
    Well, found it hard to feed the little one fish. So mashed the sardines up with mashed potato. Great -went down a treat. Except what goes in, comes out. Ha ha or should I say aaaaaaaaaah ha. It was the most concentrated unearthly fishy smell that I have ever come accross and unfortunately, sardines are temporarily off the menu.
    My friend compared it to a dirty weekend in Plymouth he had when he met this... (the mods are listening)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    The answer is in the name...

European Pilchard (Sardinus pilchardus)

The Pilchard is the only true European sardine! :D

FTFY

Can we still use abbrev. language?
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    With so many good things out there to eat, I find it difficult to get my 2 tins of sardines on toast in each week - but still I try.
    Best ones I had was in Porto Pollenca 3 years ago at a local eatery.... plain grilled (3 large ones) some chips, fresh tomato/onion salad, warm bread & washed down with a bottle of very chilled village white wine. Also included a cake type dessert for 10 euros IIRC.
    We're off to El Arenal for a week on 23/4 - looking forwards to more grilled sardines on that trip...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    willhub wrote:

How did you buy them? Were they frozen like that?

The older I get, the better I was.

• keef66
    based on his history of postings about food / diet / cuisine, I'm guessing Will's talking about the tinned variety
  • team47b
    keef66 wrote:
    based on his history of postings about food / diet / cuisine, I'm guessing Will's talking about the tinned variety

By tin did you mean he found them in a bin?
  • keef66
    No, but it sounds like that's where they are now!