My Misty Mixte

2»

Comments

• moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    They are fitting modern gears which they say will work better than the 30 yr old Positrons..
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Sadly that is probably true, given they weren't great when they were new, although it does ruin the authenticity a bit.

What about a period sturmey archer hub gear instead - SA is relatively bomb proof.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    True - the Positrons were a bit hit and miss at the best of times - the important thing is that at the finish you'll have a bike that works and that you enjoy riding
  • moonio
    Just picked up the bike with the new gears and it seems ok, I think the derailler is truative and the shifter is a cheap lokin sun(something)
    I also asked for the seat to be re-adjusted as it was tipping forward and was just given a grunt and told they couldnt do it.

Never going to bikefix again!!
  • I hear Bikefix are thinking of changing their name to Bikebreak...

Glad you are at least mobile again
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Jay dubbleU
    Miserable b***ers - glad to hear your mobile again - what's the problem with the seat ? depends on the seat post but you may be able to tighten it
  • moonio
    I had new brakes, gear shifter and handlebar fitted at Condor yesterday, now the bike rides like a dream. Am so pleased to have completed the upgrades. Its an amazing bike! I would reccomend to anyone thinking of getting a new bike to go vintage/retro/oldschool and upgrade..you will get a well built bike that may seem a bit heavy initialy, but the mixte actually out performs my boardman in terms of speed and hill climbing ability.
    Make sure you find a mechanic who cares about your bike, and dont go to bikefix!! :x
  • Jay dubbleU
    Congrats - bet you're glad you didn't sell her
  • moonio
    Hi, its been a long time since I visited theses forums :)
    I recently had the chain replaced on the Mixte and scince then its been falling off the front cog thing, any idea why this could be happening? could I have a component fitted to stop this? as apparently it doesnt have the thing that stops the chain from coming off..
    btw its a 5 speed bike.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,829
    Probably the chain ring that's worn - new chain on an old ring tends to skip.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Unless Moonio has been doing some SERIOUS miles recently, the chainring should be fine.
    Why was the chain replaced? The bike was old, but hardly used, so I'd be surprised if the chain was worn enough to need replacing yet.

Perhaps the new chain is too long?
    Does the chain come off in any particular gear?

I'm clutching at straws here.
    Moonio, you work near Farringdon, right? I could meet you for lunch/after work to have a look at it if you do and if you ride it in.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • moonio
    The chain snapped when I pressed down on the pedals quite hard trying to get away from a Royal Mail lorry..I hate those things..

Yes I am Farringdon, would you light to take a look sometime next week?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yeah, I'll have a butchers.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!