Stay local, go Sherwood pines or other?

TheMadHouse
TheMadHouse Posts: 40
edited June 2012 in Routes
I live in Wilford just south of Nottingham, I regulary go into Clifton woods ,Gotham woods ,West Leake hills and occasionally Wilford Hill and across to Clipstone wood.
I fancy a change something more interesting and challenging.
Now these areas are all to me ,cross country routes ,with very little technical stuff, or what single track there is short. I quite often end up `sessioning` the spots where single track and technical meet. This can get boring and reptative.
Also these areas are prone to getting quite muddy and so forth come winter etc - this doesn`t bother me so much as tyres and alike can iron out these issues.
My only ever experience of a `trail` centre is The Cli-machx trail (absolute mint) in Machynlleth Wales this spring and Hamsterly when first got bike a couple of years ago and was a total greenhorn. Been there once on each.
Now Sherwood Pines is approx 45 mile round trip and Cannock is approx 90 mile round trip.
I`ve read that there has been numerous changes at Sherwood, but is still tame and come winter ,a sloppy mud fest.I saw a video on you tube of the kitchener trail and thought it looked tame and flat - is it really that poor compared to Cannock and else where?
Is Sherwood worth the expense of going?
Or shall i just stay local and try and go to Cannock or Hamsterly-my relatives live 10 -15 mins away.
Matt

Comments

• goshow
    goshow Posts: 61
    Sherwood is OK but not a patch on Cannock. My recommendation would be to go for a trip to Gisburn or Dalby.
  • I have a season pass for sherwood pines but it's only any good for fitness training, and the sand really fecks your bike up. Ive not been for a month or so, they have been improving things and adding lots of hardcore/gravel.

Cannock is a good way to spend 2 or 3 hours. Dalby is also very good but a trek.

Let's not forget that the peak district is literally on the doorstep and has loads of stuff better than any trail centre.

I
  • Ladybower 1 hr 20, Edale slightly less and there’s reasonable local routes out of Ticknall and Whitwick which are not that far away. Cannock is OK but I find FtD boring in the main.
  • So my thoughts on Sherwood look like they were true - if your super local then no brainer but any thing else ,get traveling or search for some routes on internet etc.
    Suppose it`s the way it goes really insome ways for the mtb desert of Nottingham itself.
    Drive to some where or become a roadie.
    Also to drive for 1 -2 hours for 1-2 hours riding seems a bit daft.
    Must adjust my view point on that I think.
  • There is loads of places a relatively short drive from Nottingham!!!

Sure you can't open your door and fall down a valley in the peaks but if you find the thought of an hours drive daunting... Perhaps you do need to become a roadie.

Seriously drive to Cannock, Dalby or Llandegla... Even sherwood pines, this will give you a taste of what is out there and you won't even think twice about planning how to get to Scotland for the weekend, or the Alps for a short trip.
  • Yup, you need to adjust your view point, if you want hills & thrills then the Trent Valley isn't the best place to live but the upside is that there is a variety of riding within reach be it a day out or a mornings blast, I can quite easily tire myself out and be back home for 1. You'll soon get fed up of riding the same trail no matter where you live so like the rest say travelling goes with the sport.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    What everyone else said, but I'd try them all, none are that far away.

Sherwood Pines is ok for a visit every now and then and a quick blast round - it's mostly flat.
    Cannock is well worth a trip much more now for the Monkey Trail than Follow the Dog itself.

Fantastic riding to be done in the Peak District - little more than an hours drive from me in Beeston.

You could do worse than have a ride round Bramcote Hills - there's some pseudo downhill runs and a set of dirt jumps if you like that kind of thing.
  • Well my view point must be radically adjusted then.
    Hopefully will go to Cannock Chase this friday or next ,depending on when get it back from bikeshop.
    See how the whole experience goes and take it from there. My adventures will hopefully be just beginning.
    On a seperate note which tyres would you use for cannock
    HT with 120mm fork
    conti verticals 2.3 or maxxis ranchero 2.2
    have others but there more winter specific. I guess cannocks more hard pack groomed trails for FTD and Monkey rather than mud slop.
  • Not ridden either of the tyres you mention but some sections have a trail surface with containing large smooth stones & these can be slippy when wet, you won't need mud specifics.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I and my son loved Sherwood Pines when we went to Centre Parcs this year. OK, maybe it wasnt a massive challenge but it was good fun twisty turny stuff. Our only reference point for trail centres is Swinley though, which is probably tame compared to alot anyway.
  • waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    Cannock and Pines are two entirely different places!

Pines is all about the fast flowing single track. It isn't particularly challenging unless you hit it reasonably hard, but it is more than worth it for a morning out. As others have said it isn't particularly hilly but the flowing nature of the place makes up for it.

Cannock is a completely different place. Follow the dog is a bit dull tbh. The monkey as mentionned is amazing fun. There are some nice technical climbs with tight switch backs and the descents are good fun too. My gripe with the place is the pebbles in the track, when damp they are lethal and remove some of the fun.
  • Is the monkey still cut up, there were quite a few braking holes last time out that way albeit that was a good couple of months back
  • Not going anywhere at the mo, got a strained disc in my back and strained hip joint ,not too major like a slipped disc. Went to osteo dude tuesday and have improvement already.
    Hopefully will be fit enough to pick bike up from shop tomorrow, and see how back fairs over the week to see if can go out.
    Will certainly be checking out cannock and come spring will look to the peaks I think.
  • sc1858
    sc1858 Posts: 25
    YIMan wrote:

Sherwood Pines is ok for a visit every now and then and a quick blast round - it's mostly flat.
    Cannock is well worth a trip much more now for the Monkey Trail than Follow the Dog itself.

Fantastic riding to be done in the Peak District - little more than an hours drive from me in Beeston.

You could do worse than have a ride round Bramcote Hills - there's some pseudo downhill runs and a set of dirt jumps if you like that kind of thing.

where abouts is all of the stuff in Bramcote? i am in Mapperly, is it worth the ride down there?
  • I'd say make the drive up to the Peak District.... that said, I think Sherwood Pines is a lot better than a lot of people make it out to be. Ok, it's pancake flat but your speed doesn't have to come from gravity.. we have these pedal things on bikes. Ride it eyeballs out and it's a lot of fun and a great work out. Ride a few sub-40 minute loops of the Kitchener Trail and then come back and say it's boring.
  • This is all very depressing stuff for me!

I currently live in Mid Wales and have done for the past 3 years, in which time I have started Mountain Biking, I have been spoilt with the likes Of Nant Yr Arain and Climach-X 15 mins away in opposite directions and Coed y Brenin 50 mins away.
    However I'm having to move back to Nottingham (work related) in the next year or so....

I'm feeling rather glum! :cry:
  • dont feel glum, theres plenty of choice to ride depending on your style. i live just outside mansfield (sutton-in-ashfield) i love sherwood pines i basically go round the red route as fast as possible trying to beat my time every lap, its great excercise in any weather and real good fun. thats like 30min ride for me the only downfall is £4 parking when cannock is £3 i know its only a pound but its run by the same folk and cannock is hundred times better if you want to test out your skills rather than go for speed. cannock isnt far away for me your just talking over an hour and then there is loads of places in derbyshire and the peak district which is under an hour also... try crich chase, shining cliff woods, black rocks, hope valley... just whip out a OS map and go exploring for even more fun...
    seriously Wilford is quite central to lots of places i work opposite the river from there near toys r us. and its a stones throw from the m1 and from the a610 which will take you straight to ambergate for crich chase... just look for an adventure
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    http://flic.kr/p/cv5koo
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

Falling off my bike isnt due to the fact i cant ride, its all because i found ways that dont work
  • Trapper
    Trapper Posts: 35
    Nothing wrong with Pines if you take it for what it is. We have a group ride on a Wenesday night from Mansfield and often end up doing the best bits of the red route along with the "hidden gems". Like all activities, variety is required so we do enjoy excursions to the Peaks, Llandegla, Coed y Brenin and Afan for gravity assisted fun!
    I can't agree with the plaudits about Cannock though - overused and in poor condition. Nightmare at the weekend with queus on the routes at every minor obstacle.
    Riding with a group makes any trail fun!
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    sc1858 wrote:
    YIMan wrote:

where abouts is all of the stuff in Bramcote? i am in Mapperly, is it worth the ride down there?

It's both sides of Coventry Lane but mainly the side nearest Ilkeston for the jumps which are at the back near the railway track.
  • sc1858
    sc1858 Posts: 25
    YIMan wrote:
    sc1858 wrote:
    YIMan wrote:

It's both sides of Coventry Lane but mainly the side nearest Ilkeston for the jumps which are at the back near the railway track.

oh yeah, i know where you mean. Im picking my bike up tonight, i may take a ride up there. thanks for that
  • trevron73
    trevron73 Posts: 23
    Just got back to the East Sussex coast, the wife had buisness in Nottingham, so i took a journey to Sherwood Pines, i was impressed it was fast fast fast ,did a sub 55 min loop, twisty ,bermy and a hoot ,loved the bike shop very friendly guys all over the trail/shop/car park im planning a trip to center parks so can take the wife ,
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    The pines is a great little blast, if you like fast forest singletrack you should definitely check it out. I'm just back from there now havin completed 2 laps of the Kitchener and some playtime at the bike park. There's also tonnes of unmarked trails which are even more fun and the best part is on a day like today you've pretty much got them to yourself! :)
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!