Maximum rider weight limit?

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
Im trying to research the rider weight limits for most of the big manufacturers, and its actually very hard to come by the information!

All I have found, for Trek bikes on their website, is maximum of 300Ibs (136 kg's) for ht/fs mountain bikes.

Does anyone know the weight limits of the likes of Carrera, Giant, Kona, Boardman etc.?

Comments

• I think I have found an answer for Carrera bikes (on Halfords website):

asked 3 months ago by piper2hire: What is the maximum weight limit for this bike (titan)/any Carrera bike?

answered 3 months ago by HalfordsWebTeam: Halfords bikes are tested to a recommended rider weight of up to 120kg with an allowance for luggage also.

Just thought this thread might be useful for people wanting to get into biking as a way of getting fit but unsure of what bikes are suitable.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The current CEN tests stipulate that the frame should be able to withstand a bad landing equivalent to a force of 9G at the bottom bracket shell.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    .blitz wrote:
    The current CEN tests stipulate that the frame should be able to withstand a bad landing equivalent to a force of 9G at the bottom bracket shell.

9G :shock: I would hate to hit anything at 9G isnt that like a car crash but without the seatbelts airbags and crumplezones.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    stubs wrote:
    .blitz wrote:

9G :shock: I would hate to hit anything at 9G isnt that like a car crash but without the seatbelts airbags and crumplezones.

Airbags are tyres, Crumblezone is you :shock:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Apparently the test involves attaching various weights (10's of kg) to the head tube, seat tube and BB then letting the frame drop onto a steel plate. IIRC it was revised recently which is why so many steel frames have sprouted a gusset behind the head tube

A 9G landing is enough to break bones
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    .blitz wrote:

but at least your bike will be ok afterwards
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    .blitz wrote:

but at least your bike will be ok afterwards

Well, the frame will be at least, cant speak for the wheels/fork etc.
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    .blitz wrote:

Yes and no, depends on the length of time it is applied, the direction it acts and the location.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You posted that on a 3 week old thread? :?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    njee20 wrote:
    You and I both posted that on a 3 week old thread? :?

Anyway, no, 9G is 9G. it's nine times the acceleration of gravity. Since it's a measure of acceleration, it already includes a time component.
  • Unreal1066
    Unreal1066 Posts: 10
    This sounds like an excuse not to ride. Get any old bike and ride but go mountain biking it is much more of a full body workout using your arms, standing, sitting down just get your body moving.