120mm rear to 140mm

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
A mate of mine has a 09 Specialized stumpjumper with 120mm rear fox Triad shock. Is it possible to change the shock to 140mm shock such as a fox rp2 or rp23?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes and no. No because theres no such thing as a 140mm shock, yes because you can change the chock length though, but again no I don't think you can get to 140. I did it on my Stumpy and it worked well; I put a 190*50 rp2 on (triad is 185*45), which yielded about 134mm of travel, I dont think there is a shock option that would give you 140mm travel though - its possible a 200x57 might fit, and if it does it would give around 6 inches of travel, but I am not sure I'd really want the steep head angles, high bb and generally unlikely-to-be great other side effects it might have.

As an alternative you could see if betd have any linkage upgrades. They used to be on their website, but I cant see them anymore.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Put another way, rear travel is a factor of shock length, travel and the geometry of the various linkages. Because of this you can't just add length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Ok. Thanks Guys. So not as straight forward as replacing with a longer travel shock then.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Well, its pretty easy if you're ok with 134mm of travel; In that case I can tell you with 100% confidence you can switch to a 190/50 RP2/3 and be very happy with the result.... Anything else would be trial and error.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    BETD used to sell linkage upgrades for Stumpys to take them from 120 to 140 without altering the geometry (with 140 forks of course)

from a quick squiz on the website they dont seem to be doing them any more. From memory the linkage was about £180 alone....