new rotors

nickbec
nickbec Posts: 36
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm off to the Alps, do I need to upgrade my rotors to a decent set of heat resistant one's or could I get away with standard rotors. I plan on using the brakes more than most as this is my first trip

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    And your brakes, rotors and bike are?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Organic pads for the alps......or Kevlar, but NOT sintered.

+1 on 386ka
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nickbec
    ok thanks, I have been told I should upgrade my 180mm to ice tec rotors 180mm at the back. I'll use the organic front and back
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Who told you that?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who told you that?
    A Shimano dealer?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most likely! Plenty of people rode the alps just fine before Icetec were 'invented'....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nickbec
    well I wasn't actually told I read that one needs real stopping powewr and that the ice tecs will stop better than others. But as a mate who has ridden in the alps said you also need the finned pads and the actual set up that ice tecs demand. So go with your own 180's and spare pads
    thnaks all