Chain too long only in small ring ? (pics included)

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys :)

I really hope someone can help me.

I have recently installed a new XT rear mech and XT shifter, the new one is a medium cage and the one that was on before was a long cage.

Anyway once I installed the new mech I found my chain was too long, so I took a couple of links out only to find I had shortened it too much :o and it wouldnt go into 1st gear in the large chain ring, so I had to order a new chain :( another 23 quid and the chain that was on it was only about 5 weeks old :(

New chain came today and I cut the chain just now with the correct method as on YouTube, chain goes round large chain ring and large ring on cassette, pull chain tight and split at the 3rd pin, I did this before with the other mech and it was all good.

snap012a.png

However the problem is back, now the chain will work in all gears but when the chain is in the bottom (small) chainring the chain looks wayyyy too slack and is hanging, I am baffled as to whats going on here.

Here are some pics to better explain it:

96796489.jpg
89794315.jpg

20352660.jpg
26278066.jpg

63876004.jpg
What the hell ? how can the chain all of a sudden become so slack ?
10482034.jpg

I am totally clueless as to how or why this is happening, all I know is I cant ride and I dont want to take any more links out cos that will be nearly 70 quid on chains then :shock:

Any ideas on whats happening, why and if theres a fix ?

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You shouldn't be in small/small anyway. Or large/large.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I'd also say the chain is too long. For a hardtail I'd use big/big and one link.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the input mate.

Well this happened first time so I took 2 links out, all was well, then I tried going up the cassette but it wouldnt go into 1st in large chain ring, mech was at max stretch.

I do like to use all the gears when I am out depending on terrain but this cant be right and I dont wanna take another link out to find it wont work and I need yet another new chain :(

I wondered if the mech isnt suited with the frame or hanger or if it could be something like that ?
  • MontyDog
    MontyDog Posts: 14
    Hi, looks like the gear difference is too large for the short cage rear mech. You need the long cage mech back on or a compact set on the front?
  • Anonymous
    Thanks Monty that makes sense, I thought it would be something like that...

I'll see if I can swap this for the long cage, if not am buggered lol.

Thanks a lot mate :)
  • MontyDog
    MontyDog Posts: 14
    Also, if it's a Shimano chain you can just add the links you removed using one of there special pins which you can buy separately. Alternatively, you can use a quick link, and use more than one if needed. They are supposed to be stronger than the original links. This should save you buying chains, and you can still use the one you just discarded.

all I know is I cant ride and I dont want to take any more links out cos that will be nearly 70 quid on chains then :shock:
  • cooldad
    MontyDog wrote:
    Hi, looks like the gear difference is too large for the short cage rear mech. You need the long cage mech back on or a compact set on the front?
    Missed that. Check the range of the mech - should be in the instructions, or Shimano tech docs. Range is large chainring minus small chainring plus large cog minus small cog.
    I have the same mech but lost the big ring. From memory, it doesn't have the range for your chainset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Thanks a lot for the info guys :D

Mech is back in its box going back to CRC tomorrow to be exchanged for a long one, hopefully thats problem solved then, phew :oops:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's all in the Shimano tech docs online, no way a short cage was ever going to cope with that gear range.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks again for the info guys, I never knew what the difference was between a long, medium or short cage, I bought the medium because I thought it looked better, I wanted something more minimalist.

Still its all an education and ya live and learn :D