bike fitting

jonod777
jonod777 Posts: 143
edited June 2012 in Amateur race
so im new to this bike racing thing and my mate was saying i need to get my bike fitted to me so i dont kill my back and it will help me in the long racers is this true and how much or bike fitting sorry for the bad spelling ride safe all thanks

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    a good fitting bike is worth loads, more comfortable, faster, more powerful. Just so much better to ride! The only thing is how close to optimal are you before a fitting? Could be you a very close so wouldnt have got very much out of it, might be you are a long way off and will notice a massive improvement.

I would advice at least considering and looking into it though.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    go and see Adrian Timmis and you wont look back!

http://www.cadencesport.co.uk/
    cartoon.jpg
  • jonod777
    jonod777 Posts: 143
    iv sent him a eamil asking about what he can do for me so we will see thanks for the link DOObz
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Where are you based?

If up north I'd recommend going to see Richard at Pedal Precision. He is based at the velodrome in Manchester.

http://pedalprecision.com/
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Another vote for Richard at Pedal Precision.
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    I'm off to see Richard next week, looking forward to it!
  • simonsays
    simonsays Posts: 25
    i am of the opinion that if your new to cycling then it maybe worth doing, but if you have been cycling a while i would have thought that you would work out what feels good verses what is aerodynamic and made the compromise? Would be interested to hear someones opinion on what they can do if you know your saddle height, found a comfortable reach and bar height? There are plenty of bike fit formulas you can have for free to work out the position of contact points such as

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... M&units=cm
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    I had a fitting with Richard at pedal precision last Thursday and did 75 miles in the new position today. It feels much better and I'm really happy with the results. Highly recommended :D:D
  • frazerbrown
    frazerbrown Posts: 64
    I'd been cycling and mtbing for approx 20 years before finally giving in to the aches and pains, and booked a bike fit. The results have been amazing. Well worth the money- my average speed is up by over 2mph, recovery is improved, and the aches and pains are gone. I can't believe it took me so long!
  • simonsays
    Ok guys come on spill the beans, its no good just saying its great, what have they done to improve your position?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Who do people reccomend in the south, Adrian is just too far for me to drive I think.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • frazerbrown
    frazerbrown Posts: 64
    My own bike fit (at Hardie Bikes, Cairneyhill) resulted in the saddle being moved forward by 37 mm(!), Lowering the saddle height, raising the handlebars, and setting up the cleats properly- something I never could do! They also added shims to the cleats to sort out knee alignment issues. On the plus side the bike frame was the right size even if nothing else on it fitted me properly!
  • simonsays
    My own bike fit (at Hardie Bikes, Cairneyhill) resulted in the saddle being moved forward by 37 mm(!), Lowering the saddle height, raising the handlebars, and setting up the cleats properly- something I never could do! They also added shims to the cleats to sort out knee alignment issues. On the plus side the bike frame was the right size even if nothing else on it fitted me properly!

setting up cleats with shims seems a little ott. Can you really tell what your doing over such small adjustments? I am still a sceptic, i still think it can all be done at home in 30mins with a tape measure so why pay £150 plus? If your back aches reduce reach and/or increase rise. heel on pedal leg straight gives saddle height. Set bars up so you can use all parts relatively comfortably, although this is dictated by frame size, unless your fork has a lot of stack. And the links in my first post will give you all the measurements a bike fit can offer?