Can you mix Brake Calipers & levers (Same manufacturer)

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I saw these on CRC...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=37208

And thought that if my Hayes Stroke levers would fit them i could get myself a decent pair of stoppers on the cheap.

It looks to me that the banjo bolt would fit.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I used to have avid elixir levers with juicy calipers and it worked fine. Can't vouch for any other combination though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The key is the piston sizes, you need the ratio of sizes combined with the lever pull to master cylinder ratio to be matched, if the new one matches the old, you'll be fine, if not you won't.

Mot manufacturers are broadly consistent through the range for their own ease of mix/match and manufacture, but no guarentees!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    Thanks for the replies, i will have a ponder.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can get the tech/service docs for the levers that go with those callipers and the levers you have you may spot similarities of part (lever no and piston for example) that will tell you something!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.