Stticky Brakes

jawooga
jawooga Posts: 530
edited April 2012 in The workshop
Hello

The brake pads on my cx bike seem to stick to the rim after hard braking - both front and rear on one side only. I can replicate this by pressing on the brake pad itself.

I initially thought the caliper could use some oil, but removing the wheels they open and close freely. Therefore, I am guessing that the brake pad is overlapping the rim slightly and gripping it.

Is this a fair prognosis / has anyone experienced this - pad sticking on the rim? And in which case, what do I do about it? Does the pad need re-aligning?

Thanks
Jim

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    have you tried adjusting the small screws on each arm of the cantilever? this is used to centre the pads to the wheel
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Disconnect the cable to ascertain exactly which bit needs your attention, can sometimes be dirt in the cable, or spring tension as gbsahne said, always better to disassemble, clean oil/greese then adjust if necessary, in my experience.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the pad is overlapping you will see a lip on the pad - cut off with a stanley knife, then realign.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Hi fellas. Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look today though I suspect the pad does need cutting down a bit and re-aligning slightly.