Pads not moving, what do I need?

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My front brakes are failed and upon checking all I can really tell is that the pads are no longer moving when the brake applied, i.e. the pads are NOT meeting the rotor. Does this sound like a failed caliper or can the pads be replaced? The bike is a Mongoose Tyax - any pointers to a replacement part as necessary? Many thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What are the brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mickisup
    all I know is:

Radius Mechanical Disc, 160mm rotor brakes, Shimano EF-50 levers
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Are the pads no longer moving, or are they just not moving enough to clamp onto the disc?

Maybe you just need to put more tension in the cable (either with the barrel adjuster or if needed, adjust the cable itself by loosening the cable clamp bolt, pull cable through and tighten it back up)

As far as replacement parts/pads, have a look on ebay/google
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Surely only one pad moves anyway. You might need to adjust the fixed pad there is usually an allen key to tweak.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mickisup
    Thanks all for the replies. I have checked again and when I pull on the front brake the pads do not appear to move at all, I have tried adjusting the pads but then they get stuck on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the lever on the side of the calliper moving when you pull the brake lever?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mickisup
    yes that is moving fine, even tried to adjust that but still the pads don't move
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pics please, not familar with that....

If you rotate the lever on the calliper body by hand ALL the way does the pad start to rub the disc? the other pad will not move and has to be adjusted up until it'd 'just' rubbing, the pad on the lever side then pushes th disc across into the other pad to create the friction.

Is the pad on the lever side not moving at all? (take calliper from bike so you can see better) this would be vanishingly unusual!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    Just a thought the pad material hasnt dropped off the backing plate has it that might give the impression nothing is moving.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mickisup
    As suggested last week I have taken some photos and I hope this helps explain my predicament!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67908011@N05/6934015824/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/67908011@N05/6934015996/

As one picture shows I have disconnected the brake cable to rule out that as a cause, just need to know whether this is something that adjustment can fix or else what I need to buy to resolve.

Cheers
  • stubs
    Cant see much from those photos to be honest. Have you taken pads out and had a look to see that the piston is moving when you move the lever.
  • mickisup
    Doh! By taking the pads out can see the issue now, the 'pad' itself on one side has dropped off and hence although the piston is moving its not moving anything useful...Hoping this is a cheap and easy fix after all!
  • stubs
    You can get pads for about £5.50 google bikefridge or superstar.
  • mickisup
    Many thanks for all the help.