what are the adjusters called ??

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited April 2012 in Workshop
my eyelets for the gear cable front end with a tiny spring are solid and one has snapped off being poor ali

i need to buy a new eyelet and screw in adjuster what are they called and where to buy ?? it needs drilling out and whe whole unit replacing

any help appreciated

Comments

• If you mean the things that allow you to adjust the tension in the cables they are called barrel adjustors - e.g.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=barrel ... x=54&ty=44
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You need standard gear-cable barrell adjusters - a decent LBS should have them, otherwise they are available from Shimano and BBB - all frames have the same thread size fitting. They are interchangeable with Shimano rear mech ones if necessary.
    In terms of getting the old ones out, suggest you soak in PlusGas or oil and try and unscrew rather than drill - otherwise you'll risk damaging the threads. Use a thread-extractor (ebay for £4) or small, self-tapping screw into the remaining stub to try and get it moving.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ricey155
    cheers guys you knowledge is appreciated

already killed one bodging the job, can i buy the bracket that goes in the frame as well ?
  • Monty Dog
    The adjuster mounts on the frame are usually integral to the frame and usually not replaceable so take care. Also depends on frame construction / material but likely you'll need a frame builder to sort it - not a regular LBS job.
  • ricey155
    bugger they look like they are riveted in place that's why i drilled out the old adjuster

just my look deffo becoming a turbo single sprocket bike soon when the new one arrives, never again will i jump in and try and cure a problem without consulting you guys 1st

cheers again
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just a thought, but you don't have the older style adjuster converters for old braze on down tube shifters? Like these:
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/5287/Campagnolo-Down-Tube-Cable-Guides-Adjusters.html

Was a bit confused as to your description of drilling it out and thought you might have had these installed (or the Shimano equivalent).
  • ricey155
    they might just do the job to be honest excellent cheers for that
  • g00se
    They fit on the old down-tube lever braze-ons - you'll need the threaded holes for them in the frame.

DowntubeShiftStudPhoto201009.jpg
  • ricey155
    bugger no good then

can you not buy the other style and then rivet them into the frame ?? using larger rivets ??
  • g00se
    I've never seem them rivited on - just welded on flush.

Could you take a photo of what you have at the mo?
  • ricey155
    Hi apologies for the late reply :roll:

finally took a pic of the dam adjuster cableadjuster.jpg

are they rivets ??

this is the nackered one, no spring currently and drilled out (rushed idiot) could it be replaced ??
  • Monty Dog
    ^ Don't attempt to drill the rivets, they're not designed to be removed. You may be able to chase-out the threads on the cable stop using a suitable thread-tap, but chances are you'll cut a different thread to the original but at least you'll be able to mount a new adjuster
  • ricey155
    ok cheers for that, the marks are where the drill caught when i started messing with it

no rush got a new bike to wear out before i get around to fixing the adjuster :mrgreen: