Tapatalk?

muran
muran Posts: 105
Great forum guys, any chance you can add Tapatalk compatibility to make it more usable on a mobile device?

Thanks.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    +1

was just about to create a topic about this.

Its free so why not? http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php (although there are extra features if you pay..)
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I'd like tapatalk, give me something to look at on my phone!
  • muran
    Glad there is demand for this ... I use my phone for net use more than the lappy lately. TapaTalk would make this forum a lot more accessible for me.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Tapatalk would be handy :)
  • muran
    None of the admin team here to comment? I'd have thought this would be the appropriate section for such requests?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited June 2012
    Changed post: I'm on android 2.2 HTC Desire almost entirely for my browsing now and BR works fine on it through the native internet app, pictures don't immediately format properly & it's occasionally very slow to type a reply. About 50% of the forums I look at nowadays try to make me install tapatalk so it may be considered a PITA to have to remember which are which aren't tapatalk then hop to Android internet for the others. I also feel that I need the limited space on my phone for adding Apps to significantly improve functionality, not just giving me 2 ways of doing much the same thing.
  • muran
    Well I have reported this post to the mods as none of them seem to be active here ... Let's hope it gets some action.

Tapatalk is free and a great tool for viewing forums on a smart phone. Honestly don't see any argument not to have it available!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mods have no power to do this, neither the forum admin - as in the other post, the main site admin need to look into it. I will pass the message on, I think Jeff is away at the minute.
  • muran
    Thank you, appreciated. Really hope we can get this added.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    muran wrote:
    Well I have reported this post to the mods as none of them seem to be active here ... Let's hope it gets some action.

Tapatalk is free and a great tool for viewing forums on a smart phone. Honestly don't see any argument not to have it available!

Is it free? Not spotted that in Google Play, only a couple of quid tho.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Free mod for the forum IIRC but the app isn't. Convo does a decent job and is free.
  • muran
    Free mod for the forum IIRC but the app isn't. Convo does a decent job and is free.

Yep that's right. App is worth a couple of quid if used for multiple forums. Would be nice to have the option either way as it costs nothing to implement.
  • supersonic
    I have heard from Jeff, and when he has finished his current list of work will look into it.
  • muran
    supersonic wrote:
    I have heard from Jeff, and when he has finished his current list of work will look into it.

Cracking, thanks for the update.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Can you get them to look into a link to the forum from the mobile device main page? that would be a sweetener :)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • alihisgreat
    Can you get them to look into a link to the forum from the mobile device main page? that would be a sweetener :)

+1 again

was thinking about this the other day.

The point of a mobile site is to reduce the data used -> but you just end up loading the mobile page and then the desktop version.

So you actually use more data..
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hope this goes ahead - i love tapatalk - and seriously, if you use a few forums and have a smartphone / tablet - then the app cost is well worth it!
  • muran
    Really pleased this has attracted a lot of interest. I think it would be good for the forum and hope Jeff see's sense in adding Tapatalk compatability.
  • alihisgreat
    muran wrote:
    Really pleased this has attracted a lot of interest. I think it would be good for the forum and hope Jeff see's sense in adding Tapatalk compatability.

I'm not so sure its a good idea now! the themes in the updated version are horrific! seriously making my eyes bleed :lol:
  • muran
    Admin - are we ever going to see Tapatalk compatibility added as per this thread or is it time to start looking for a forum that I can use easily on the go that DOES support it?

Would be a shame to leave, I've learned a lot here.
  • alihisgreat
    muran wrote:
    Admin - are we ever going to see Tapatalk compatibility added as per this thread or is it time to start looking for a forum that I can use easily on the go that DOES support it?

Would be a shame to leave, I've learned a lot here.

the roadbikereview forum uses it -> lots of interesting stuff to read on there.
  • muran
    Thanks I will have a look. It seems clear now that those that can don't have the slightest interest in adding this much desired feature (or listening to their users). Disappointing to say the least.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    muran wrote:
    Thanks I will have a look. It seems clear now that those that can don't have the slightest interest in adding this much desired feature (or listening to their users). Disappointing to say the least.

A bit harsh - Jeff said he would look at it when he has time. I expect the "much desired" you refer to (read a very small handful of people - from this post) doesn't push this too much up his priority list and like the rest of us he has other work that needs to be done.
  • muran
    Hmmm, I disagree. Tapatalk is a very popular tool and would only serve to generate more traffic to / interest in an already great site. Adding tapatalk compatability is not at all difficult or time consuming and in my experience, most admins jump at the chance to improve their forums in any small way they can.

This topic ran for almost a month before my above post so it's not like I posted the request one day and chased it up the next. Had I done so I would concede to having acted a little hasty.

I would be able to frequent this forum far more often with Tapatalk compatability added - I suspect there are many in the same boat - even if they don't wish to make it known through this thread.
  • supersonic
    I don't understand much about this tool - and is certainly not up to me to fit it lol - but it looks like it will cost a fair few thousand dollars to implement?
  • muran
    supersonic wrote:
    I don't understand much about this tool - and is certainly not up to me to fit it lol - but it looks like it will cost a fair few thousand dollars to implement?

Not at all ... had that been the case I could certainly understand any reluctance.

http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php

There is a free option which I understand is all that's required to have the forum show in the Tapatalk listings and enable use of this great forum through a mobile device - that's all it does, nothing complicated.
  • muran
    Supersonic - curious if you have looked at my link?

Anything from Jeff on this?

Thanks.
  • supersonic
    Had a peek, it seems you can put the basic package on for nowt. But is up to higher powers than me ;-)
  • muran
    Sure, I understand that. Just wondered if you had heard anything about it from these higher powers.

Don't know what the connection is so I may be barking up the wrong tree!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The main issue I would think is a corporate one.

And it would not something Jeff would do.

Easy to add to a one off personal forum but when you have many sites and many fora.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown