Cannondale CAADX 2011 Cassette & Chain

sophidog
sophidog Posts: 180
edited April 2012 in The workshop
folks
Bought the bike in the sales late 2011 and wondering if the supplied 11-25 105 cassette can be swapped for the 12-27 without having to change rear derailleur components or adjust its settings. I'm also looking to keep a spare chain handy and wondered what you think of the KMC X10L chain compared to Shimano's own.
Shared wisdom very much appreciated.

Tom B
Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I'd have thought the cassette swap would work, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd probably give it a go. Not sure how much difference it'd make (well, it'd make less than 2%).

I only really go for KMC chains now, and that'd be fine. I'd swap it now and then (every ~1000 miles) rather than keeping it "spare" as it evens out wear on the chains
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Effectively it's only one tooth difference. Will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    thanks cooldad, was more worried abouth the larger diameter 27-tooth sprocket as it would effectively take more chain and pull the derailleur further forward; it's mee old legs you see!
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You may need to resize the chain, but the mech will be fine. Chain should go round big/big without the mech plus a full link. Only likely to be an issue in big/big combos.
    KMC chains are better than SHimano IMHO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools