Newbie contact lense wearer

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited April 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Got my first ever set of contacts today Acuvue 30 day toric ones. Looking for any advice about wearing them whilst riding which is what I got them for mainly.

Do you use eyedrops and what type. Do you take any extra precautions when you use them like wearing sunglasses all the time. Do they make your eyes water. Do you carry a spare set with you. Do they come out if you hit the deck. What happens if you get sweat in your eyes.

Anything to avoid doing I suppose the most obvious one would be dont rub your eyes with a filthy sweaty glove.

Any advice would be good I know a couple of contact wearers but neither is a rider.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• ianrams
    ianrams Posts: 51
    I've been MTBing for ten years with contact lenses and never had any issues. The only thing I have to be careful of is staring for too long on a decent as you need to keep blinking. I always wear clear or sun glasses with a view to protecting my eyes but I've had any issues with wiping eyes with gloves etc. Take your glasses as spares in the car in case you have any issues on the ride too.

Have fun

Ian
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I use daily disposables. I always ride with cheap safety glasses as it stops your eyes watering, and your lenses drying out in the constant wind in your face. Glasses also protect you from anything thrown up from the trail. So I'd say eyewear is a must. I also carry a spare pair of lenses - which is not a problem with dailies - but that's just me being cautious as I have never needed to use them.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • stubs
    First ride in my new contacts this morning very impressed, I completely forgot they were there. So nice to be able to see where I am going. Just need to buy some good cycling sunglasses now anyh suggestions.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Not sunnies, but clear with a gradient shading... Bolle Axis. Adjustable side arms are a must for wearing with a helmet! Eye protection and very cheap!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • stubs
    Need some more advice whats your favourite eye drops tried out 2 types Blink by abbot health care and Icare by Red Med. The Blink felt the best really lubed up the eyeball but are a bit pricey at £6 for 20 little 1 use dropper bottles. The Icare is cheaper but doesnt seem to last as long.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I've played rugby with contacts in for the last few years in mud, rain and wind and never had any problems with them falling out. However on the bike I always wear some type of glasses - usually green tinted safety glasses - as well as contacts. Sweat and rain will have no effect - but rain can make them a bit uncomfortable so I usually wouldn't put them in. I'm not blind though so can get away without them! I use monthlys too. And I'd advise you not to rub your eyes! They'll fold over and pop out (in my case anyways). Hope this helps
  • I don't think you even need eye drops, I only ever have dry eyes, or any problems at all, if I have forgotten to change them when I should.

Otherwise a pair of sunnies and your good to go.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Nope, I've never used eye drops myself, and don't think they're needed. Wait to see if you actually need them
  • stubs
    Had 4 rides so far and with the cold windy conditions my eyes have got not exactly dry but sticky. Just got back from a 20 miler and deffo need some drops in now even though I was wearing close fitting glasses. Really enjoying the contacts though just wonder why I left it so long.
  • mike306
    mike306 Posts: 27
    I wear mine when riding to, never had any problems, but cycling glasses of some form is a must I would say.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Worn lenses for 25 years. Last weekend lost one on a club ride, first time ever, been working hard back into the wind, but had specs on. Eye must have dried out and I could feel it come out, daily disposable, so no cost, but made for a fun 30 miles back home making sure I stayed with the group.
  • stubs
    Good ride up hill and down dale today and really cant believe I left it so long before trying contacts never going back to glasses for riding in now. I have had riding glasses with a RX prescription insert for a couple of years and they were okay but the glasses tended to slide down my nose when going downhill. Did some pretty steep steps and drops today plus a couple of flat out blasts on farm tracks and my glasses (the same glasses but without RX insert) stayed glued to my hooter. Obviously the extra weight was too much for the pads, also no or very little fogging, when the RX inserts fog your stuffed.

No wind today and my eyes didnt dry out obviously I only need drops when its windy which is 360 days a year round here.

My optician has got me a trial set of daily contacts to try and 2 different brands of 30 day ones to try he is really keen for me to find the perfect riding contact.