World's Spoilers

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,207
edited April 2012 in Track
Cracking team pursuit victory for GB. Looked quite comfortable going into the final lap but the Aussies pulled back about 0.3 seconds which made it a bit tight!

Women's team sprint not so good, into the bronze medal match against China.

Edit - new World record too!

Comments

• Pross
    India's team sprint start.....different!!!
  • Pross
    GB team sprint 4th fastest and racing the Aussies for bronze. Good opening lap by the new youngster, probably need to stick with him now.
  • Pross
    4th place for the women's team sprint.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Good to see the GB lads in worlds stripes :)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Pross wrote:
    4th place for the women's team sprint.
    The GB world record taken apart, too.
    Once by the Aussies and twice by.................the Germans. :shock:
    JV's opening lap, second time around was well below par.
    Meares 18.415" split was simply awesome.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Looks like GB and Germany both relegated in the men's sprint. GB for pulling off the front too soon not sure about Germany but possibly the lead out being more than 15m in front of second rider?
  • Pross
    Fantastic ride by Swift to win the scatch race. I thought he'd messed up tactically a few times as he ended up on the wrong side of splits and towed the bunch back but timed it just right to catch the late attacker and then hold off the bunch that were closing rapidly.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Love the scratch race sometimes. Great ride from Swift. Looked very, very strong.
  • Pross
    Aussie's take the team sprint by 1/1000th of a second - never in doubt ;)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Have you ever seen a more positive man...?
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/vi ... am-pursuit

There are some positives... he just can't think what they are right now.
  • Pross
    New world record for the women in the team pursuit final too. Clancy leading men's omnium after 2 events (joint 1st with 2 others). Pendleton into the women's sprint semi-final.
  • Pross
    Anyone know how China and Hong Kong can compete as separate nations?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone know how China and Hong Kong can compete as separate nations?

Hong Kong is essentially a city-state with a different political system than China. It maintains autonomy in many things - including (in this case) sports. It's an odd one alright.
  • Can anyone explain how the draw is made so that Vicki is up against Anna Meares in the semi-finals?
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Can anyone explain how the draw is made so that Vicki is up against Anna Meares in the semi-finals?

It's seeded according to the qualifying times. Meares was 1st, Pendleton 5th.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MSByrne
    MSByrne Posts: 52
    Can anyone shed any light in what happened in the men's omnium elimination race? The Eurosport lot seemed to think it all went wrong and I'm inclined to agree - given that riders who clearly came last didn't appear to be eliminated...
  • Re: World's Spoilers
    by RichN95 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:49 pm

colinsmith123 wrote:
    Can anyone explain how the draw is made so that Vicki is up against Anna Meares in the semi-finals?

Not sure I understand. KRUPECKAITE qualified 7th and SHULIKA qualified 11th, would that not then make PENDLETON 2nd seed?
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • blazing_saddles
    Re: World's Spoilers
    by RichN95 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:49 pm

colinsmith123 wrote:

Not sure I understand. KRUPECKAITE qualified 7th and SHULIKA qualified 11th, would that not then make PENDLETON 2nd seed?

First up, to get their seeding, they have to set a "flying" 200 metre lap time.
    Meares was first, breaking the world record; Pendleton was 5th.
    The draw is then made with number 1 at the top of the draw, number 16, (or 24 in the case of the worlds) at the bottom.
    So, to get to the final, 1st seed rides against the slowest seed. i.e. the 16th fastest.
    If all qualify in order of time, next round she rides against the 8th fastest, then 4th, finally 2nd fastest.

Vicky was 5th, so in the first round rode against the 19th fastest.

Krupeckaite and Shulika, knocked out riders who qualified faster than themselves and Vicky P along the way, (e.g. Shulika beat Gao, who was the 2nd fastest qualifier) so gain their slots in the draw.

Anyhow, just to say, in today's men's qualification, 10 riders went under the 10 second mark! Awesome standard.
    Sir Chris only 4th fastest? Anyhow. he and Jason Kenny went through their first elimination heat.

As to the omnium elimination, Eurosport are now replaying it, saying that the decisions were crazy.
    None other than all round cycling expert, Cath Wiggins :roll: has been twittering her two pence worth.
  • blazing_saddles
    Vicky P piles herself up, then Anna M's gets herself DQF'd from leaving her sprinter's line.
    Maybe the 3rd race will actually be a completed race?
    Talk about nerves.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Gold for Vicky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGjukro ... re=related

And she says it's her last World Championships.
    Olympic medal, then feet up?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Come on Kenny!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Trott gets the Womens' Omnium.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Trott gets the Womens' Omnium.

Nerveless in the Devil. The confidence she must have to employ that strategy.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Pross
    Some fantastic match sprinting in mens and womens. I'm not a big fan of VP but very gutsy sprinting from her after the fall. Kenny unlucky, great tactics.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Sir Chris owns the Kierin doesn't he?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross wrote:
    India's team sprint start.....different!!!
    You should try a gate start!! remember they dont have the facilities as other countries, our guys have done hundreds of starts a year, these riders are lucky to do one a year and thats probably in the worlds.
    I have seen UK riders fall out of the gate or pull it, just goole Chris Boardman for one :D
  • oldwelshman
    Great few days watching the track after doing some long training rides for my track training :D
    Have to agree with all the sprint decisions, rules are rules and riders push the red line to the limit. Harmon and Gibby good commentators but sometimes miss the obvious, Hoy went ouside red line after Perkins almost lost his hand up Hoys arse :D
    Pendleton just lost control and went outside red line as she fell, thats why she had yellow card.
    Other countries advancing fast also now, Germans were hot in Womens team sprint, VP and JV will get better, they are re;latively new team and JV still young.
    Mens sprint was less impressive even though they had a good start,they have to improve.
    I think Hoy will do team sprint and Keirin and Kenny the team sprint and individual in olympics.
    VP was awsome after falling off, to come round Meares in third match.
    The mens Pursui surprised me as I think they will improve more, G was almost left behind due to lack of form, great ride and confident boost.
    Best performance I would say was womens team pursuit to break world record twice and by such a margin and Danni and Laur are only 21 and 19 and still relatively new to world senior level and will improve more.
    Laura Trott was awsome in Omnium and look a good bet for gold or silver at olympics, cant see anyone beating her and the ausie.
    Swift was awsome the way he won scratch and was unlucky not to get gold in points. I am still not convinced Mayer took a lap as there were seven riders in Swifts front group and the group behind fragmented into group of 4 and 3 and 2 so is that defined as the main bunch? I thought it was goup with largest number of riders and by the time Mayer caught them they were all smashed and broke up as it was last lap.
    Great MAddison also by swift and thomas, beaten by a strong belgian team. Again HArmon and Gibby missed the fact that when Mayer took lap the field slowed and GB and Spain continued to take the lap, and even better picking up a sprint before they took the lap sealing the silver!! They missed that completely.
    I dont think Clancy was too good in the omnium, they should go for somone else, Maybe G or even Sam HArrison if hes fit. Clancy rode a terribly scratch race and was too far back too often, dropping too far back in line after turns on front. His placing in points and scratch race always cost him places.
    Was impressed with the fast finish by the pole in the womens scratch, where did she come from she was nowhere on last bend and romped away at the end :D
    great finish by Hoy in Keirin, took a lot of balls to do that.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    As for the Hoy v Kenny decision. For me Kenny is close but has not done enough to surpass Hoy.

Hoy is ahead 3-1 in their competitions recently and really when it comes down to it, who has the best chance of beating Bauge in the likely final? Has to be Hoy for me in the sprint. He already has the Keirin spot sewn up beyond doubt.

Of course all caused by the stupid one rider per nation rule. Daft really to have an Olympic competition with a weaker field than a World Cup round.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • oldwelshman
    Daz555 wrote:
    As for the Hoy v Kenny decision. For me Kenny is close but has not done enough to surpass Hoy.

Hoy is ahead 3-1 in their competitions recently and really when it comes down to it, who has the best chance of beating Bauge in the likely final? Has to be Hoy for me in the sprint. He already has the Keirin spot sewn up beyond doubt.

Of course all caused by the stupid one rider per nation rule. Daft really to have an Olympic competition with a weaker field than a World Cup round.
    Yes it is stupid rule.
    I would still go for each of them doing two events.
    Kenny is not so hot in keirin and HOy has habit of using the repechage for the sprint which drains him even for the keirin. I do not thing he could do all three now. Kenny is more tactically aware in sprints IMO.
    They will do lots more testing yet and its still while to go but I think Kenny will get faster.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    They will do lots more testing yet and its still while to go but I think Kenny will get faster.
    This is certainly true - and for Hoy as well I imagine. No way is either rider at 100% as early as April in an Olympic year.

I think it will come down to the stats and numbers these guys hit in training in the coming weeks. There is also I imagine some element of gut feeling as well beyond the stats - ie who will bring their A-game when it matters most.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.