MTB Leader/Coach/Tutor Courses

chazkayak
chazkayak Posts: 193
edited April 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Im planning on furthering my MTB qualifications as part of my "career change" plan.

What I would like to know is..........What quals are worthwhile getting?

Im planning on staying in Europe around the alpine region.

Comments

• kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Do you realise that to work in French Alps you need International Mountain Leader qual as well as something like SMBLA? This is a huge undertaking requiring that you get Summer Mountain Leader Award first (a great deal of experience of group leading and personal hill walking experience etc)...Without it, if you are caught, you are likely to be arrested!!
    If you are serious about a career change which involves guiding customers in the Alps research carefully where you can legally work. Of course you may already have your IML or be intending to use local guides anyway!
    Another thing to consider is that British Cycling is currently about to roll out a definitive MTB leading qual which they are hoping will become the benchmark trail leader qual. At the moment there are so many different quals around it is very messy and disjointed... Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Was thinking more of the German side of the Alps, but thanks for the info, France was another consideration. Ive got my MLT so am no stranger to that side of it.