Bike transport options for Ford Focus

waby1234
waby1234 Posts: 571
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've been doing a bit of research into options for transporting my Carrera Fury. Having recently acquired a dog I now can't transport both bike and dog!! I've thought about putting the dog on the roof but it's not really practical :D

I've therefore been looking at roof bars with a carrier, to fit a 2008 (58 reg) Ford Focus hatchback. A quick search of the forum shows a few people mentioning the Thule ProRide 591 carrier, but one or two people saying the Thule bars aren't so good.

Has anyone any experience of the Thule roof bars and/or carriers? Tow bar mounting isn't an option for me.

Also if anyone could advise on the security of using roof bars that'd be handy as well.

Thanks
2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    I've been using Thule 591's for a few years now and they work fine. Think the general opinion are that these are quality pieces of kit, but not cheap.

On the security front, depends what you mean. If you mean being nicked, I wouldn't advise leaving the bikes on the roof carriers unattended - have heard quite a few stories of bikes being nicked off roof carriers - not specifically 591's but any roof carriers. If it's about them falling off the rack when you're driving, I've never had that problem but I m pretty thorough when I secure them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    same as above, have been using Thule roof bars and Thule cycle carriers for a few years now and never had any issues. I always lock mine (the carrier) not so much about security from theft but in case the lever had to pop open for some reason (although I doubt this would ever happen - but its peace of mind).
    I recently bought a new car and all I had to purchase was the correct rubber fitment kit for the car and I could keep the bars and foot pack which was great as they are pricey, but look around and there are a few bargains to be had.

I have the aero bars and the freeride carriers, the freeride is a fair bit cheaper than the proride and dont look half as good but function well. Roof carriers are definitely the way foreward after trying seats down bike in back, and then rear boot carrier (a real pain when you want something from the boot). With racks on all the time its a 5 second job to get your bike on and off.
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • waby1234
    Great thanks for the reply.

On the security side of things then I doubt I'll be leaving the bike on the roof unattended so that should be fine. Presumably it might be possible to somehow lock the wheel to the bars or carrier as a deterrent though?

Price wise, for brand new it looks like approx £150-£200 is the ballpark range for the whole kit. I may look at second hand as well - eBay listings seem to be about £110.

Are there any other makes worth considering?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    waby1234 wrote:
    On the security side of things then I doubt I'll be leaving the bike on the roof unattended so that should be fine. Presumably it might be possible to somehow lock the wheel to the bars or carrier as a deterrent though?
    I've seen people use a padlock and chain to wrap around roof bars and bike frame for when the car is parked up for a short while. Suppose it can't hurt.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If you need bars, then go for For'ds own: they fit & look better. Thule make excellent cycle carriers - I went for a Ford / Thule comb like this on my Focus & it was ideal. Security is always an issue, whatever system you go for. I guess a chain would slow down the theft by a couple of seconds, depending on what equipment they have on them! :x
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • waby1234
    Thanks that's useful feedback. Therefore it looks like something like these http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/produc ... 718770-196 with a Thule carrier would be good. Does the Thule carrier need any kind of adapters to fit onto the Ford roof bars or are they generic fit?
    2011 Carrera Fury

• youll find thule make most of the roofbars manufacturers sell as their own. i had some vw branded ones that were actually thule.
  • Just to say with the Fiesta i used the Fords own brand bars then bough a Thule Bike carrier, of which i have nothin but good things to say about it.

Compared to Halfords own brand the Thule is another legue, only issue is that the clamping arm can be a problem is you have cables under your frame so i allways use a cloth or some padding to protect them.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • i have the 591 plus aero bars. its my first roof rack and im pretty impressed with the quality and the ease and speed you can get a bike on and off is a really benifit!! it is more pricey but can find the bits at a reasonable price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Thule-591 ... 1c202fb143

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thule-Fitting ... 4151f446bb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THULE-3015-FI ... 519e8c3fbc

http://www.tesco.com/direct/thule-861-a ... id=1370518

pretty much cheapest price from when i was looking, comes to £178 all brand new, obviosuly can find some bargains second hand!
  • waby1234
    Cheers for all the advice so far!

I'm currently weighing up between buying the Ford bars or the Thule bars - the main advantage of the Thule being if I change car they will possibly be able to swap over with the right kit.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    waby1234 wrote:
    Thanks that's useful feedback. Therefore it looks like something like these http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/produc ... 718770-196 with a Thule carrier would be good. Does the Thule carrier need any kind of adapters to fit onto the Ford roof bars or are they generic fit?

Generic fit - Thule will fit onto any bar.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    We bought Atera - Signo roof bars & Giro speed bike carriers. Superb quality and very solid. Plus unlike Thule they don't make you spend extra to get 'aero' shape bars.
  • snapper52
    snapper52 Posts: 34
    I recently bought a 2002 Ford Focus and was lucky enough to buy Thule roof bars and fittings for this model on Ebay for £58 then also on Ebay to buy Halfords Advanced Pro Bike Carriers x2 for £11.50. Bargains are there to be had if you watch and are patient.
    Just recently driven 450 miles return to Glentress with absolutely no problem. Even forgot bikes were on roof, though fortunately never went into any car parks with height restrictions.
    cheers
    Gordon
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Get rid of the dog. It wastes valuable bike space in the car, valuable bike time in exercise, valuable bike money in food and it's fucking eggs lay in wait for the rest of us.

In all seriousness Thule take a lot of beating. I run their bars and the 530 Freeride carrier mentioned if I'm putting bikes on the roof and it's very, very secure.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris