annodised nuts and bolts ?????

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
any one no where i can get annodised nuts and bolts from? i want to replace the ones on my specilized camber comp mainly the ones that are on the frame thinking of gold or red but ppl have been saying that red goes to pink after a while and what price should i be looking at?..........or is this gay????
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    sigorman85 wrote:
    ..........or is this gay????
    Very...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Especially pink ones.
    Depends which ones you want to replace. Replacing steel bolts with aluminium may not be a good idea.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    they aint pink lol i have been told they will go pink after a few years or so?....ah true so can you annodise steel?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• No you can't anodize steel..... But I like your idea.... Muc Off strips the colour, sun may do after a period of time but not quickly...

Go for gold and buy titanium ones like are on eBay... They do disc rotor bolts in gold titanium and the same seller does stem bolts, caliper bolts etc etc.... Saves you grams, makes your bike bling, wastes you a load of money... :0)

I personally wouldn't buy alloy bolts as they are prone to go brittle and snap / shear.
  • sigorman85
    il have a look at the rotor ones will gold look sillya as the bike is red and white

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IMO yes, pointless and expensive. Save the cash for blow and hookers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    il have a look at the rotor ones will gold look sillya as the bike is red and white

Maybe.... But it's your bike so who cares.... :0)
  • sigorman85
    true

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you're going to use aluminium disc bolts the get a suitable torque wrench, very easy to ruin the torx slot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Buy these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130616841662? ... 1439.l2649

A shed load of money to waste as you save around 10 grams on the originals....

Then buy these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310357895182? ... 1439.l2649

Saves you around 18-20 grams for the stem bolts on a thomson stem.... ;0)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    http://www.pro-bolt.com/ are very good but beware unless otherwise stated the bolts have big, burly heads on them and might not fit in some recesses.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I bought some red bolts to replace the bottle cage bolts, they've been on there about a year and are still red. I don't use the bottle cage mounts so they're just filling the holes and look nicer than the original ones. I wouldn't bother replacing any more as unless you're really looking you just don't see them. These are the one's I bought:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6267
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Only use Aluminium ones for the bottle cage,and possibly shifter clamps.Ti for everywhere else,though it gets silly expensive.

I bought some red alumnium ones from pro bolt for my bottle cage bolts,but I don`t think I`ll bother with the rest.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Superstar do some painted steel rotor bolts which are actually a pretty good colour match for their anodised stuff.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Mowa do some coloured steel rotor bolts as well, I've got blue ones that I won for about a quid on the bay and they seem pretty good to me.
  • sigorman85
    luckly for me im a precision enginner and had a word with the boss and he said i can get some bits annodised when they next send some stuff down there for free so that is a bounus. shame ya cant annodise steel

• bennett_346
    sigorman85 wrote:
    so can you annodise steel?
    sigorman85 wrote:
    i'm a precision engineer

:wink:

Just messin. What colour you going for then?
  • sigorman85
    lol i new i would get a comment on this lol its because i have said im a engineer befor and ppl say oh what type of enginner so i put that and just tack the flack now ......thinking gold or red but its a specialized camber comp in red and white and dont want to over do it on the red ......i have seen a few other posts about the camber and ppl say its over done on the red and white

• bennett_346
    sigorman85 wrote:
    i have seen a few other posts about the camber and ppl say its over done on the red and white
    I would agree, although a very pretty bike it needs something to break up the colours a bit.