Who else wimped out ?

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi all,

Normally commute in every day regardless of weather year round on my fixed ( 10 each way) , best bike in summer.
Kids off school, mrs shopping in town, our car is free, look out bedroom window for 10 mins, 2" of snow on our road,
Should i, shan't i?

Horrendous wind
I'm ashamed to say, i've let you down brothers ! :oops:

Who else gone to the dark side & drove in ?
:lol:
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    May I reccomend - viewforum.php?f=40012
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shedhead
    Why?
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    shedhead wrote:
    Why?

'cos it's already covering the same topic?

Edit

Sorry, I assumed it was linking to the Snow, Snow, Snow thread!
  • shedhead
    i haven't looked in the commuter forum as this is my regular stop. Yes i ride in every day, but i'm a club member & race, so does that make me a commuter or a "proper" roadie ?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    shedhead wrote:
    i haven't looked in the commuter forum as this is my regular stop. Yes i ride in every day, but i'm a club member & race, so does that make me a commuter or a "proper" roadie ?

I'm staying out of this one :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    shedhead wrote:

Maybe you could post in both...?

You'll find quite a few of the regular commuter contributors do as much (if not more) road cycling as the lot over on road.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I commute, I rode in in terrential rain and wind - wouldn't normally bother me, except i removed my mudguards 2 weeks ago and forgot just how much protection they actualyl do provide!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    team47b wrote:
    shedhead wrote:

I'm staying out of this one :D

It makes you someone who rides a bike...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I rode in yesterday morning in a quite a heavy rain, was soaked by the time I got in, soaking feet as didnt bother with the overshoes. Looked outside at 5pm and saw what can only be described as a blizzard, horizontal wind and snow combo. Would have been a headwind all the way home, so left the bike in the office and got the bus home, which meant bus in today. Will be cycling home tonight though as the blue skies have returned. Ps. I commute, and am a weekend roadie, but usually stick to this forum for reading.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • afs
    afs Posts: 5
    I had breakfast, got ready in the commuting gear, bag packed. Then got my 11mth old daughter out of bed and opened the blinds so that she can wave at people (there is no one there just likes to wave)

saw the rain/sleet coming in at a 45 degree angle, looked at the 2 cars and drove into work in my commuting gear and changed at work like i normally do
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lets be honest - we have a soft climate here. I've never been turned back on a cycle commute due to weather.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • shedhead
    In mitigation, It's only the once Mrs Wembley !
  • Pross
    Rolf F wrote:
    Lets be honest - we have a soft climate here. I've never been turned back on a cycle commute due to weather.........

Nor me because I always start out in the car if it looks dodgy ;) (not really, only just done my first winter of commuting though).
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I wimped out, glad i did coming home at 5.30 am after nights there was a lot of snow + slush on the country lanes so i would have definetly had an off or got side swiped by a sliding vehicle.
    Off the bike anyway till friday as the works nurse told me no lifting/cycling till my suspected hernia had settled down.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    shedhead wrote:

Maybe you could post in both...?

You'll find quite a few of the regular commuter contributors do as much (if not more) road cycling as the lot over on road.

I've even posted in the "girls in..." threads..... 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    Aye rode in and back from work at midnight. Gales and horizontal sleet in the face. Earned the question today 'did you make it home last night?'
    A: no I didn't make it, I died on the way.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    If there is one thing I have learnt this week, its that Paris-Roubaix must be a F*cking hard race.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    I didn't wimp out yesterday but wish I did, weather was truly barbaric
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Pross
    The hardest commute I've done going home last night. Extrremely strong headwind for the whole 18.5 miles other than a few minor changes of direction which gave a cross wind to push me out into the traffic (fortunately the country roads were quiet!). Mile for mile it was one of the hardest rides I can recall despite the route being extremely flat. Ended up averaging 14mph rather than the usual 17 - 18!
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    I went mountain biking yesterday [which is a nice alternative to pounding the miles in the lanes]. We got as far as the the climb to the top of the Waseley Hills. The wind was blowing the snow horizontally across the hillside. It was so hard it made you gasp. We had to turn our heads out of the wind and just snatch glances of the trail ahead. My face and legs felt like they had been rubbed with nettles. We turned back early and only did 13 miles!