Great Manchester Cycle 2012

Not the cheapest, but looks interesting. Closed roads too.

http://www.greatcycle.org/Default.aspx

Bank Holiday Monday 4 June 2012.

Apologies if already posted.

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Think I'd rather be out in the countryside - hopefully in the sunshine and the hills!!
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    £38 for an adult and child to ride up a bypass. Total joke.

This reminds me of the Etape Cymru last year. Those road closures will be very interesting to see.

AL
  • Why would anyone want to do 4 laps of Manchester city centre, closed roads or not!

There are Events out there at a fraction of the cost that get you out in the countryside on non repetetive routes

Get me out in the hills every time
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I'd like to totally revise my opinion of this event. I've been very critical of it because of the pricing. Well the prices have been seriously dropped and I now think that this looks like a fantastic event for families. It's now £10 for adults and kids up to eight are free. Kids between 8-16 are £7/8. When you see the work that goes into an event like this a £10 is an amazing price.

It's good to see an organiser listening and this event could encourage some more younger riders into the sport.

Cheers
    AL
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    I have entered the 26 mile event before the prices were reduced. I was attracted by the closed road element of the ride.

Personally I wouldn't class this as a Hardcore Sportive but more of a Mass Participation Event. I appreciate that this is not everybodies cup of tea.

I would hope that the later 13 mile event may attract many to this event. It's a great opportunity to get more people cycling. I would hope that British Cycling and the CTC are in force at the finish to encourage more people to get on their bike.

I would like to see more events like this and SkyRide.
  • segster
    segster Posts: 15
    I think the price is great, I ve entered the long route - not sure if I can do the 18 mph average as I am usually around 15 mph and I only have a flat bar hybrid. However want to try a fast flat ride before I then do the more difficult Polocini Over't tops which should be a total contrast!!