Chain cleaners and citrus degreasers

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited April 2012 in Workshop
I bought a park tools chain cleaner about a year ago. Couple with white spirit it's been brilliant :D

However...my chain cleaner is kind of black now and uncleanable and white spirit is rather nasty stuff. I wasn't keeping on top of my chains and so when they got cleaned they where pretty dirty. So now I have bought the same cleaner and will be using citrus degreaser to go with it. Planning to clean my chains at least once a week/as needed. Never going to let them gunk up again.

My questions: How can you make citrus degreaser go further...and how do you keep a chain cleaner...clean?

Thanks

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I cleaned my chain cleaner today just by putting some fairy liquid and boiling water in it and shaking it about then rinsing it. Seemed to do the trick ok.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    +1 for Fairy Liquid, this is what I use.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    Fairy liquid and hot water really does work well!
  • I've heard and read that fairy liquid does the trick, but it's never worked for me :( Tried it many times, but always end up getting the toxic chemicals out...

maybe I leave it too long between cleans?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    i use a cheap ultrasonic tank, it was about 20 quid from robert dyas, much better than an on-bike cleaner

it's good for chains, other parts, plus non-bike stuff, the tank is stainless steel, just big enough for a chain to lay flat in the bottom, so it's economical with degreaser, and wipes clean after use

citrus degreaser, or water+fairy liquid, or just water, depending on what's being cleaned

kmc link on the chain allows it to be removed

wipe off gunk with a rag, one zap in citrus, rinse under the tap, zap again in hot water, pop in low oven to dry, put in chain box and oil while warm, leave in box to seep in - i use three chains in rotation, i've found they are lasting much longer this way than when i used a chain cleaner
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cool...sorry to be thick but I've never heard of an ultrasonic tank!

I've always been wary of taking my chain off....thought if I didn't put it back the same way as I took it off it'll wear cogs quicker....maybe I'm being silly?
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I have been using Autosmarts G101 since I have a fair amount of it.
    I usualy use it to degrease car parts and the engine bay, And more often whilst cleaning the car.
    Its fantastic stuff. I just adjust the ratio dependant on what I am using it for

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... cat19.html
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    I wipe the chain regularly with a rag, typically recycled from old clothes... it's environmentally friendly, doesn't make a mess and virtually cost free... any other method is overengineered, superfluous, harmful or nasty for the chain

Chain cleaners are simply ridiculous
    left the forum March 2023
  • Chain cleaners are simply ridiculous

Ooo I'd have to disagree with that! Mines been great.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah like wiping with a rag really helps clean the rollers...
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    I wipe the chain regularly with a rag, typically recycled from old clothes... it's environmentally friendly, doesn't make a mess and virtually cost free... any other method is overengineered, superfluous, harmful or nasty for the chain

I’m with ugo on this one.

I used to use a chain cleaner but it was just a messy nightmare. Then over the winter I switched to Park Tool Chain Brite and cotton rags – excellent results!

Now the weather is drier I’ve switched to Progold Prolink lube which cleans and lubes the chain at the same time – and it really works! Shiny quiet chain :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I wipe the chain regularly with a rag, typically recycled from old clothes... it's environmentally friendly, doesn't make a mess and virtually cost free...

A bit much after every mucky ride if you commute though. I commute on a Ribble Gran Fondo with Campag Centaur which is fairly expensive stuff - so, after every wet commute, I run the chain through a chain cleaner - it takes about a minute and keeps the chain clean enough. Then at weekends I regularly take the chain and cassette off and give it a proper clean in hot degreaser which brings it all up like new.

The chain cleaner is a useful thing that enables a quick de-gunking to be done. If you have more time/discipline then fine but it is completely incorrect to say that they are ridiculous. ;)

Rags are all very well but I can't see how they get the cack out between the links which is a serious cause of transmission wear. On the other hand, if most of your riding is in the dry I can see why you might not see the need for anything more involved.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184

not sure I`d go so far as that BUT a concern with any chain cleaner is how do you ensure it is all removed after using it, ??

ie if some solvent / degreaser cpd left within roller links then that coudl interfere with lubricant properties >>> increased chain wear. Personally much prefer either use Rock`n Roll Gold or Progold Prolink bothof which seem to clean chain during application, or sometimes Finish Line green on MTB and then just water wash it off.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wipe the chain regularly with a rag, typically recycled from old clothes... it's environmentally friendly, doesn't make a mess and virtually cost free...

A bit much after every mucky ride if you commute though. I commute on a Ribble Gran Fondo with Campag Centaur which is fairly expensive stuff - so, after every wet commute, I run the chain through a chain cleaner - it takes about a minute and keeps the chain clean enough. Then at weekends I regularly take the chain and cassette off and give it a proper clean in hot degreaser which brings it all up like new.

The chain cleaner is a useful thing that enables a quick de-gunking to be done. If you have more time/discipline then fine but it is completely incorrect to say that they are ridiculous. ;)

Rags are all very well but I can't see how they get the cack out between the links which is a serious cause of transmission wear. On the other hand, if most of your riding is in the dry I can see why you might not see the need for anything more involved.

It hardly ever rains down south... it did rain once in March.
    That said, I am in Italy now and it's raining... :evil: and you are right, I am staying in... :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    First wash your chain in petrol, I then boil my chain on the cooker with some fairy liquid. Then dry it out in the oven. The only problem with any chain cleaning, however you do it, is that you need to get the lubricant deep into the links. Personally, I use Husqvarna chain oil - very good at working in rough conditions, wipe the excess off dilligently and then apply a good lubricant. Sounds agricultural but wear the chain out as opposed to wearing the sprockets and chainrings.

PTFE and silicone combo spray - the best stuff since Campagnolo was invented.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ugo.santalucia
    First wash your chain in petrol, I then boil my chain on the cooker with some fairy liquid. Then dry it out in the oven. The only problem with any chain cleaning, however you do it, is that you need to get the lubricant deep into the links. Personally, I use Husqvarna chain oil - very good at working in rough conditions, wipe the excess off dilligently and then apply a good lubricant. Sounds agricultural but wear the chain out as opposed to wearing the sprockets and chainrings.

PTFE and silicone combo spray - the best stuff since Campagnolo was invented.

Have you tried deep frying it in rapeseed oil?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Have you tried deep frying it in rapeseed oil?[/quote]

Erare humanum est
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!