Sram X9 replacement

gloomyandy
gloomyandy Posts: 520
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have a Sram X9 crankset on my 29er. It is the 44-33-22 10 speed version with a GXP BB. Problem is it has 175mm cranks, my other bikes all have 170 cranks and I think riding the 175 is causing me some knee problems. So I'd like to know what my options are to switch to a 170. I've had a quick look around and a complete 170 version of the x9 seems rather hard to find. Is it possible to just replace the crank arms (if so where can I get them), if not what alternatives are there that are compatible with my 10 speed Sram rear and Sram shifters?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any. but if not GXP fitting you will need new BB cups but that is not an issue as new cranks come with Cups.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gloomyandy
    Hi,
    Thanks for the fast reply. So can I use a crankset that specifies a 9 speed chain? So for instance this seems to be available on a number of sites for what seems like a reasonable price...
    Truvativ Noir 3.3 TM Crankset
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tru ... t-ec029438
    This also has a GXP bottom bracket so I assume I can use my existing one?

Not sure if there will be any problems with the chain being 10 speed rather than 9?

Thanks

Andy
  • gloomyandy
    Oh and one other quick question. The X9 uses a single bolt removal, does it have a standard thread? Mine is very tight and I wan't to be sure I'm turning things the correct way!

Thanks again

Andy