brand x carbon road frame

olds-worth
olds-worth Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
anybody using a Brand X carbon road frame? Chain Reaction Cycles are selling them off cheap but I don't know if I should go for one. are they cheap for a reason?
any recommendations or warnings?
thanks in advance

Comments

• rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I've bought a few brand X bits and pieces over the years, and always been happy with it. CRC do just dump stuff cheap at times. Having looked at it, it really does look like a bargain. It has some good reviews too.

I think I'd order it and return if not happy. That's what I'd be doing if they had a 60cm in stock.
  • thanks for that. you're right, I can send it back if it's no good.
    trouble is, I've got to build it up and ride it before I know if it's good or not, and then it's too late to return! catch 22
  • Don't get it.

It might look good but it's 3K (T300) which is a weaker dated carbon. That's why it cheap. It not worrth RRP 700. Can get T700 for that price. You really want the 12K (T700) carbon which is stronger, stiffer. For 400 you can get a superior alloy or steel frame that last longer.

It not a bargain it cheap carbon.
  • olds-worth
    olds-worth Posts: 7
    OK, thanks for the feedback, guys. much appreciated.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    The same frame is on ebay for £338 (new) - Read a tri forum somewhere where people have brought them and love them.

.........but the planet x pro carbon is probably the best budget frame at £335 w/o forks though
  • d692t8
    d692t8 Posts: 2
    The frame may be cheaper material, but the responsiveness of the frame is good and it's forgiving for potholes etc which makes it a great TT frame and it looks great to boot.
    I've ridden the frame for 3 years now and it's been fantastic and still is. I do ultra marathon cycling so ride an ave 300 miles per week for non intense training periods and the frame is still in great shape. It's probably done milage into the tens of thousands now and if I cleaned it up I could still get a great price for it, so I felt I got more than my money's worth.