Just discovered my bike has been stolen...

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have just discovers that my Trek 1.5 has been stolen from my garage last night. This morning my 5 year old son told me that our garden gate was open, not thinking much of it I closed it. Later on I went into the garage via a side door (which I lock every night, but yesterday I had forgotten to lock) accessed from our garden, and inside my garage was a bit turned up. It slowly dawned on my that someone had been in here. I looked and to my horror my bike was gone, along with a chainsaw. I am so annoyed that the thieving blighters have happened to try the door the one and only time I have not locked it.

Anyway I have phone the police who have told me someone will get back in touch.

I am assuming my home contents insurance will not cover me...?

In the meantime if anyone sees a cracking Trek 1.5 2010 model in White, in the Edinburgh area let me know.
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sorry about your loss.
    If you told the Police that both the rear gate and garage door were unlocked and that the bike wasn't locked with a Sold Secure lock, then it probably won't be covered under your home contents insurance I'm afraid. Keep an eye on Gumtree, ebay and local ads and there's hope you get your bike back, as well as the Police maybe catching the scum.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    We found a bike dumped the other day and rang the police. The response was they do not have the resource to collect it so they just take a note of the details.

We offered to keep it safe and they said that if no one reports the bike stolen it is ours after 28 days.

The reason I am posting this is to highlight the fact that unless someone reports it found and keeps it you are unlikely to get a result via the police so make sure you scour the other resources as mentioned.

Good Luck.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • That's a bugger mate - I was burgled recently, they didn't take much at all but it was a rubbish feeling. I had been out riding the previous day and had suffered broken spokes in my rear wheel, so had dropped the wheel off at the repair place - the burglars had been in my shed, whcih I had left unlocked with the key in the door but either didn't realise how much a Madone 5.2 was worth or didn't fancy shouldering it away. I cursed when my spokes went but I think they probably saved me the cost of a new bike.

Just out of interest, is there any kind of web service available where bike details, serial numbers etc can be logged and then flagged as stolen, which would allow second hand buyers to check before buying and even increase the chances of stolen kit being reported?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Sorry about your loss.
    If you told the Police that both the rear gate and garage door were unlocked and that the bike wasn't locked with a Sold Secure lock, then it probably won't be covered under your home contents insurance I'm afraid.

The requirement for the bike itself to be locked afaik applies more to specific bike insurance than home insurance. That the garage itself was unlocked might be more of a sticking point.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Oliver19
    Oliver19 Posts: 97
    edited August 2012
  • Wulz
    Wulz Posts: 100
    Sad you hear your news.

Im in the Edinburgh area so if i see anything like that for sale ill post here. Might help if you post the serial No and frame size too.

A chum of mine just bought the exact same bike as yours from a bloke in fife about a month ago so i know what sort of bike you mean.

Hope you get some good news soon.

Willie
  • thefd
    Thanks guys. I have been looking on gumtree and eBay. I have been searching for 'bike' and on eBay narrowing the search to local.

The police have been fairly helpful. I emailed them photos and they said they do searches in Cash Converters and the like. If I find it on gumtree or eBay I will let them know.

With regards to the insurance I spoke to the company today and as I thought they will not cover me as the garage door was left unlocked. The lady was really kind though and sounded genuine when she said sorry!!

The frame size is 56cm. The serial number is WTU3Ø9GØ513E

If anyone comes across it I would appreciate a heads up.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    What make was the chainsaw?
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    the fact the door was not locked may not affect your insurance, i had my old bike stolen from what we call our outhouse. the door was not locked and the bike was not locked up either but we was covered. on the police front we called them forensics came etc and said they would call back with an update in a couple of weeks...not heard from them since september! but was still glad i got them involved. chances are they have tried the door many times before but unfortunately this time it was open.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • thefd
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    What make was the chainsaw?
    It was a cheap Chinese one. 52cc with a 20 inch bar. So it had a bit of power but not a recognised make.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Technik
    Technik Posts: 35
    I know how you feel I've had my bike stolen in Edinburgh 2 years ago. I used to leave it chained to the rails on the stairwell - they couldn't get through the chain so they had to cut the whole rail off... Reported to the police and even though there are 2 cctv cameras outside the flat (a very busy pub underneath) they didn't find anything or just couldn't be bothered.
  • thefd
    How ironic is this - I have just realised that along with my bike, chainsaw and bike gloves, they also stole my....padlock! Obviously to stop 'my bike' being STOLEN from him!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/site/new-channel-4-documentary-is-looking-for-someone-whos-just-had-their-bike-stolen/

having your bike stolen does open up certain doors for you! fancy being on TV?
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Just out of interest, is there any kind of web service available where bike details, serial numbers etc can be logged and then flagged as stolen, which would allow second hand buyers to check before buying and even increase the chances of stolen kit being reported?

Surprised no one else has answered this but here are the big two:
    https://www.bikeregister.com/
    http://www.immobilise.com/
  • Mine is registered on http://www.bikeshepherd.org

Another decent site
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The fact that you were burgled the one time you forgot to lock the garage sounds to me like someone was watching or noticed that you had left it unlocked, or someone who can easily see the garage and would notice these things and know that you have a decent bike in there. Do many of your neighbours houses overlook the garage?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • thefd
    None of them do. No one could tell that the garage was unlocked from the street or a neighbours house. The only way to tell is to come into my garden and try it. I have since put locks on my gate. They could easily be broken with the correct tools but should work as a deterrent. It would also mean climbing over a 6 foot fence. The area I live in is low with crime. But has really made me think that this is not the first time someone has gone into my garden and tried the garage door and left as it has been locked. Just shows that you have no idea who is prowling around at night...lowlife!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac