american classic wheels for XC

skinnyT
skinnyT Posts: 73
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of buying some new wheels and looking at american classic MTB 26 tubeless disc. they will be used for xc with the odd race and marathon event. Does anyone have an experience of these? they seem expensive (£460 at discount cycles direct) compared to hope or superstar hubs with stans crest are they worth the extra money? thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you got a link to the exact set as have been a few versions over the years.
  • skinnyT
    these are the ones
    http://www.eurobike.uk.com/details.aspx?p=337

I know the diiscount cycles are the 2011 model. I would probably go for the 2012 as per the link
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The 2011 models are the same as the 2012 models iirc. The 2010 model had a different rim which puts the weight up to 1520g.

I have just got a set of the 2010 ones for riding around cannock chase + the odd bike holiday etc. So far, they seem very light, stiff and plenty strong enough-they havent broken or gone out of true yet.
    The hubs are a work of art and have far less resistance in them than a superstar, hope or similar hub-the rear american classic hub spins for the same amount of time as a front superstar hub!
    6 pawls in the hub, and steel inserts on the freehub means that they should be more durable too.
    I would highly reccomend them.
    Moda bikes are fitting them as oe equipment now, so this should improve spares availability too.
  • skinnyT
    Supersonic, from your previous post it looked like you might have an opinion on the wheels? The link you wanted is above. Thanks
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Custom build. A2Z hubs (which share several parts with AMC anyway) on Alpine rims and Revolutions. Sub 1400g and £300.