Helmet mounted rear light

sian_c
sian_c Posts: 101
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

Could anyone recommend some kind of rear light that fits onto a helmet? I've been using a set like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/busch-muller/topfire-helmet-led-light-set-ec012209?query=helmet%20light which is fixed on with sticky pads, but it's come unstuck a couple of times now it's getting quite annoying. I'd ideally like something that properly attaches to the helmet, but I'm not looking for anything to fancy or expensive - just something to give a bit more visibility at a higher level than under my saddle.

Cheers.

Comments

• ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I've just been using the moon light usb stick ones. They've a rubber loop attachment so I just loop them through the holes in the helmet.
    They're not my main lights though
  • sian_c
    Thanks. Do you mean something like this?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-gem-10-led ... ear-light/

And no, this wouldn't be my main light. I have a good light on the back of my saddle bag and, once I find the bracket for it, I'll fit a second light to the back of my pannier rack. I just think these help too as they're higher up.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I put these on mine: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTMINI/ ... _light_set

Only done the rear so far but you could have a white one facing forwards as well.

It does make a big difference having a light high up - seems to be more noticeable.
  • sian_c
    That looks pretty neat too. I'm a bit confused as to how it attaches though. It says about velcro, but doesn't really show this in the picture. I take it it's quite straightforward though & stays pointing the right way?!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Like CTC, I'm using the Moon USB lights. Got them from Amazon, though for a bit less than the current price.

Had the Smart mini lights before (like apreading's) but while good, they're nowhere near as noticeable as the Moon ones. That said, I'd hate to be looking at the Moon lights; on fast-flash they're really disorientating.
  • sian_c
    Maybe it'll keep the cars further behind me then ;-) And tailgating cyclists too :-D

Can I just check, the Amazon link you sent says it's for a rear light but the picture looks like it's white lights. Are they white or red?
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Yep, that's confusing, they might have got their pictures mixed up. It's probably better to get them from Tredz directly, a bit cheaper & free delivery, or Evans.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I've cable tied a Cateye TL LD610 to the rear of my helmet. Fits in quite well into the helmet channels and is very bright. The only thing I did was use a long cable tie through the bike mount and through a short length of plastic piping so that it doesn't cut into the helmet.

I twisted it around so that it sits to the right of the helmet which I thought would probably give better visibility to traffic within about 50 yards or so of me. I don't use it that much as I also have a light (Blackburn Mars) on the seat post and a Smart on my rucksack so only ever use one or two of them.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Any rear light with a belt clip type mount will cable tie round the rear vents. I use a smart half watt
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Hi Sian_C

Yep those are the ones. In fact I think I got them from Wiggle as well!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Don't use one personally but my mate has one of these through the vents in is helmet.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kno ... query=knog

I might go for something like this too.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • The vent arrangement on the back of the helmet might dictate the most suitable light. I was using one of those small Smart lights which fitted snuggly on my Met helmet which had a central round vent but the same light wont fit on my new Specialized helmet which has vertical vents.
  • sian_c
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's interesting to see that people tend to use 'regular' rear lights & just find a way to fix them to your helmet rather than a light that's actually designed to attach to a helmet. Perhaps that's a gap in the market?!

Seems I'll have to look carefully at my helmet & work out which one would fit on best. I too have a Specialized helmet with vertical vents. I'm not sure that a Knog would stretch round it, but I have one on my bike so I can try that one at least.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Any rear light with a belt clip type mount will cable tie round the rear vents. I use a smart half watt

...or just clip it into the collar of your cycling top. It works just as well.

Bob