How often do you clean your water-bottle?

2»

Comments

• Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    rinsed every day, Milton soaking overnight after every third day.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I give mine a swill after each use. I usually only have water in it.
    Interesting reading about the Camelbacks, I don't have one yet. I'm getting one for a couple of all day rides planned for this year so I shall pay attention to cleaning it and only use it with water.

For long trips you might well need to use electrolyte powders as you'll be losing salts and then the cramps will start. If you are good with your food intake then powder can be unnecessary. If you do go down the route of putting powders of whatever into your camelbak then make sure you really clean it that night. Diluted bleach is effective (same as purification tabs anyway)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I do not own a water bottle.....

I stop at pubs when thirsty :-D

I may quite likely become thirsty on the way home this afternoon too.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I only use one if I'm riding for more than an hour. It then goes in the dishwasher
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I just wash it when I do the washing up. No big deal and no need for any special precautions (Milton, steritabs, diluted bleach etc).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,747
    Rolf F wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Does putting them in the freezer kill bacteria?
    For me, dishwasher after every use, plus milton every now and then.

I don't think it does, just puts the bacteria into a hibernation mode.

Freezing kills some bacteria but not all - but freezing is still good enough for me. I've never done anything with my Camelbak other than sling it in the freezer and the bottles have never done me any harm. Do clean the outside though to get rid of road dirt.

Besides - I've never owned a dishwasher and probably never will!

Freezing is not even a vaguely reliable method of sterilising something. I have always wondered how you could effectively sterilise a Camelbak bladder - obviously you can't use a dishwasher, and boiling water would be difficult and probably damage the membrane. Milton or similar is probably the best. Being as the contents will be close to body temperature (unlike a bottle) there is an increased risk of getting sufficient bacteria to make you ill. Even with regular cleaning the bladders should probably be replaced periodically.

Bottle in dishwasher after every use for me. I've used Milton for other things and it does nasty things to my skin.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:
    Freezing is not even a vaguely reliable method of sterilising something.
    It works for smelly shoes.
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Freezing is not even a vaguely reliable method of sterilising something.
    It works for smelly shoes.

Ah well in that case...

... remind me never to eat at your house.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    notsoblue wrote:
    Dishwasher.
    +1, ehhh, two actually :)
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    to be honest i'm more worried about clenbuterol!

how many commuters have been poisoned by their own bidon?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I have a fairly relaxed attitude to bidon-cleaning but even I was shocked the other day when I happened to look at the mouthpiece of my bottle with my reading glasses on. For me it's usually washed once every few days, in the dishwasher, but after that incident, a bit more frequently. For now. . . :!:
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    I can't believe what a load of pansies some of you lot are! If its only water in the bottle, then just a rinse out and a cycle though the dishwasher every few weeks is plenty!
  • rjsterry
    rickyrider wrote:
    I can't believe what a load of pansies some of you lot are! If its only water in the bottle, then just a rinse out and a cycle though the dishwasher every few weeks is plenty!

<shrugs> Please yourself. I value my guts.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    rjsterry wrote:
    rickyrider wrote:

<shrugs> Please yourself. I value my guts.

Well I haven't had a stomach upset for about 15 years. In my experience its the antiseptic crowd who are of far weaker constitution :wink:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    With the amount of crap in my diet that my guts have to deal with, a little bacteria in a water bottle is the least of it's worries :lol:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Every time after a ride it goes in with the rest of the washing up. Then Milton fluid soak every couple of months.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Mine goes in the dishwasher now as I found full on mould growing on the inside of the valve after three weeks of not washing it!
  • My bidon gets washed when I remember to wash it. Probably not as often as I should, as it is usually minging from all the filth thrown up from the road/passing trucks.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    when I come home, since I only use it for MTBing, use the bottle that came with the Revolution Track.

always wash it out but then I only MTB now and then when I have time like hopefully today!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Would you eat your dinner off an already used and dirty plate? Or use a visible dirty glass without washing it first?

I wash my water-bottle ("bidon" ain't a word to me) after every use. Yes that means if I've finished it by the time I arrive at work I'll wash it out there and refill it for the journey home.

Putting it in the freezer only pushes bacteria into hibernation. Heat is the only sure thing that kills germs/bacteria (arguably more effective than bleach/antibacterial stuff). This is why boiling smelly gloves is more effective at killing smell inducing bacteria than putting them in the fridge/freezer.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Putting it in the freezer only pushes bacteria into hibernation. Heat is the only sure thing that kills germs/bacteria (arguably more effective than bleach/antibacterial stuff).

Nope, not quite - kills a lot but a lot do hibernate. But who cares? Probably the younger folk who are terrified of a non antispetic world. If it looks ok and tastes ok then I'm happy it is ok........

And I'd be disinclinded to boil gloves - I doubt they'd last long if I did!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Putting it in the freezer only pushes bacteria into hibernation. Heat is the only sure thing that kills germs/bacteria (arguably more effective than bleach/antibacterial stuff).

Nope, not quite - kills a lot but a lot do hibernate. But who cares? Probably the younger folk who are terrified of a non antispetic world. If it looks ok and tastes ok then I'm happy it is ok........

Yeah, in the good old days, we used to drink out of the nearest ditch - saved carrying it with you.

John Snow must be turning in his grave.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Orange squash lives in my bottles and when I'm lazy the cleaning of them is hot water from the kettle swirled around the bottom then squirted out through the nozzle but a long clean inside and out from w-up liquid.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.