Double to compact

yeachan153
yeachan153 Posts: 401
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have the standard double allez 16 shimano 2300 8 speed crankset, and want to swap it to a compact (50/34t) chainset.

I had in mind the FSA tempo crankset. Will this be a straight swap without need to buy another bottom bracket?

Could someone advise me how to change the crankset, and if any specific tools are needed.

Thanks.

Comments

• yeachan153
    Anyone :(
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I belive the standard Allez has the 2200 crank which uses a squair taper BB, as does the FSA tempo, so yes it should be a strait swap. That said for £15 it may be worth changing as the standard one is woeful - when I swaped mine out for a campag unit after 500 miles it was very rough (but no play), but I may have just been unlucky.
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    You will need a crank puller to get your cranks off, Just google it they don't cost alot. Can I ask why change the chainset have you considered changing the cassette. When I got my Aleez double I had the shop change the 13-26 for an 11-28 they said that was the linit for it as it's a medium cage rear mech.

I bought a Shimano Deore MTB long cage rear mech and put an 11-32 on there becuase I have 2 bikes both with 11-32 I tried one with the standard Sora 2300 rear mech and it changes fine even with the 32. So the long cage mech went on the Boardman Hybrid and the Sora went back on the Spesh.

For my area the 11-28 is fine but I went over to Birdlip in Glous last week and did the 2 mile hill I could have done with that 11-32 on there so I put back incase I encounter anymore hills like that.

It's cheaper to change the cassette then the chainset. You will need a cassette tool and a free wheel chain whip I had one I been using to remove car oil filters for years that did the job.
  • yeachan153
    I just assumed changing the crankset would make the most difference? Have I wrongly assumed this?

I think my 2010 allez, according to the spesh site has a 12-25t cassette. So like you say, if putting a 11-32t cassette on my 2300 derailleur would work I would opt for that. Only questions then really are whether it is as effective in giving you lower gears and whether a derailleur apparently not designed for a 11-32t will shift reliably over time?
  • ineedalager
    yeachan153 wrote:
    I just assumed changing the crankset would make the most difference? Have I wrongly assumed this?

I think my 2010 allez, according to the spesh site has a 12-25t cassette. So like you say, if putting a 11-32t cassette on my 2300 derailleur would work I would opt for that. Only questions then really are whether it is as effective in giving you lower gears and whether a derailleur apparently not designed for a 11-32t will shift reliably over time?

Well here's what I found. I had been using a CB hybrid with 50/36 and 11-32 cassette than I got my 2011 Allez 52/39 13/26 I could get upthe hill but losing 6 teeth of the back made a huge differnce it was a grind on my local hills.

The guys in Hargroves when I told them the 13/26 was a struggle suggested 11-28 ( I didn't like the13 either )and I got that fitted. used it for about 2 months it's fine in my area as the hils sre not that steep. They said the spec says 26 was the max but you could get away with a 28 and it changes gear as good as the old set up.

Now how I came to put a 11-32 on was just add a MTB Shimano Deore long cage mech it only cost me about £8 that set up will also work fine.

I was coverting My CB hybrid to drops and bought some sora gear/brake levers for it. i couldn't get all the gears as the hybrid had Sram rear mech and the pull is not enough toget all 9 gears I was only getting about 6.

So I had my spare Allez sora medium cage mech and put the 11-28 onthere then as an experiment I tried the 11-32 with the same mech and that worked fine. The Sora went back on the Spesh. so I have 11-32 on both with a double on the spesh and a compact 50/36 on the Hybrid. I changed the hydrid front 36 to a 34 and I can't says in makes that much difference.

So it depends how steep your hills are and how fit you are! Hargroves fitted my 11-28 cassette free because I bought the bike from them it only takes minutes to change and set up. You will find going from a 12/25 to a 12/28 or 11/28 will make a big difference on the hills and it's cheaper than changing the chainset.

Even if you change the chainset to 50/34 that 25 rear cog is still going to hurt on the hills unless your superfit.
    So it makes sense to do the cheaper option first!
  • yeachan153
    Thanks ineedalager. I think the difference is that your sora rear derailleur is a medium cage, whereas mine is a 2300; i.e. A short cage.

So I guess my main worry is whether a 11-28t or a 11/32t will fit. Preferably I would like a 11-32t fitted for lower gears, do you think this is possible on a short cage derailleur
  • ineedalager
    I would say no. I didn't realise the cage length was different between 2010 and 11. Mine is fairly long and the Deore is definately long cage.

You may find a 11-28 will not fit yours if you have a short cage. If I where you I would buy a Shimano Deore long cage MTB mech and 11-32 cassette either change them yourself and go to your LBS and buy the parts get them to fit them for you.

There is a sticky at the top of this page about gears have a read through there basically it says cassette rear mech first then chaniset second. as long as your fairly fit if go long cage rear mech 11-32 you won't need to change the chainset.

If it would help you I could PM you a pic of my rear mech as it set with the 11-32 on there now. It may be worth a trip to your LBS and ask them if it will clear 32 I know they will say no 28 maybe. I know the spec of the Allez has got has changed over the years as they put cheaper parts on.