2 x 9 setup help please

Frosticles
Frosticles Posts: 54
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Have ordered a XT M771 Chainset and will remove the big ring as I want to go 2 x 9. Have also ordered a dual Blackspire Stinger with BB fitting. Any setting up help would be greatly appreciated please.

Many thanks, Kevin

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to set the stop screws and adjust the tension. you have ordered short chain ring bolts and/or a bash/guide ring?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers for the quick reply. Not ordered a bash guard as yet. Is it really needed? Am going to fit a new chain while I am at it. Will I need to shorten it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you will need to size it. no bash then shorter bolts are a must.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Done the conversion today. Stinger was quite tricky to set up with spacing etc.

b64d696f.jpg
    f6c52679.jpg
    56cb7baf.jpg
    img
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might want to drop your front mech a bit if you can.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I thought that but the stinger has raised bits on the bracket that won't allow this. Was thinking about getting the grinder out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's a triple front mech, it needs to be where it would have been with a 43/44T front ring to get the 'steps' in the right place, looks about right to me......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Front mech hasn't been moved. Big ring was 44T and mech was 2mm above it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Leave well alone then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.