any idea why the planet x seat post is so long ?

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited April 2012 in Workshop
ive got it set to my preferred height and still have 170mm in the bike, why would it be so long ??

could i cut it back a bit ? if so how much is safe in a carbon frame

cheersy Russ

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    There should be graphics on the seat post showing minimum and maximum insertion. Measure the bit from the lower mark to the bottom of the post and this is how much you need if you do cut it down.

Planet X Pro Carbon frames are very compact so i guess this may explain the very long posts they sell
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    There should be graphics on the seat post showing minimum and maximum insertion. Measure the bit from the lower mark to the bottom of the post and this is how much you need if you do cut it down.

Planet X Pro Carbon frames are very compact so i guess this may explain the very long posts they sell
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Don't cut the seatpost - in the event you wish to sell the frame in the future, you'll want to offer it with the full length seatpost. Besides the amount of weight you are going to save will be absolutely negligible.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Don't cut the seatpost - in the event you wish to sell the frame in the future, you'll want to offer it with the full length seatpost. Besides the amount of weight you are going to save will be absolutely negligible.

I agree 500%. In fact, its best not to ride the bike at all in case one day you want to sell it you'll want to offer it in the best possible condition.

In fact, just stay in bed all the time and never go anywhere for in case you want to sell all your clothes and shoes as you'll want to offer them in the best possible conditions.

What a load of bollox.

If you want to cut it down, follow the advice above. If you're that worried about what happens if/when/maybe you sell it on, then just buy a spare and keep it in the drawer.

Remember to throw any offcuts into next door's garden.
  • ricey155
    quality :mrgreen:

i can't see me cutting it down as yet but it just seemed a massive amount extra tube sitting inside the bike

i guess its for a 7ft rider its already an XL frame :roll:
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Yossie wrote:

I agree 500%. In fact, its best not to ride the bike at all in case one day you want to sell it you'll want to offer it in the best possible condition.

In fact, just stay in bed all the time and never go anywhere for in case you want to sell all your clothes and shoes as you'll want to offer them in the best possible conditions.

What a load of bollox.

If you want to cut it down, follow the advice above. If you're that worried about what happens if/when/maybe you sell it on, then just buy a spare and keep it in the drawer.

Remember to throw any offcuts into next door's garden.

:lol:
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Havent you ever noticed PX bikes with seat posts that are longer than the seat tubes?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ricey - may I ask what you went for? A friend of mine was looking for a PX, called them up with his measurements and said they have nothing in his size! (about 6ft 8)
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    The PX team 3d sposts are 350mm on purpose to allow adjustment on their compact frames.
  • ricey155
    SL pro carbon in white im 6ft 2" so just managed to fit the XL frame think its starts at 6ft1in to 6ft 4 in

bike seems really small frame wise but really solid and light, the gears are amazing SRAM RED :mrgreen:

no touch the seat post i'll leave that for when im going slower and need some pace :shock: