Bionicon V2 chain guide - Any good?

andymc06
andymc06 Posts: 245
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Anybody got one of these Bionicon V2 chain guides? If so, what do you reckon to them?

Cheers

Andy
If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011

Comments

• I've got one on order for the Edison. It'll be getting fitted when it comes back from the respray. Not sure how long the resin tunnel will last with the chain passing through it under tension, but they are apparently very cheap to replace, and only weigh 19g for the complete unit, so worth a bash over the stinger I was using previously.
  • andymc06
    Likewise, I have one on its way. It was a bit of an impulse purchase hence asking if anyone had any experience of them. What little reviews there are online give good reports.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I made my own out of a rear reflector mount: see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwze3onhApA

Cable tied to the derailer cable and some heat shrinked plastic inserted for durability. Never dropped my chain since and cost me nothing!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andymc06
    Thanks for the link Nick

It arrived today. I'll let you know how I get on with it at Gisburn next week.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    andymc06 How is the chain guide going I have been waitng for some feedback before trying one on my Canyon
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Can't praise mine highly enough.

Works flawlessly with a triple ring setup. Silent in use. Ideal.

Fitted.....

Reed016.jpg
  • stubs
    Cheers CWNT now just need to find somewhere selling them everywhere seems out of stock.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • andymc06
    Sorry Stubs! :)

I have found it to be flawless. Went round the Beast at C-Y-B no problems at all. Nice bit of kit if a little pricey for what you get (it's tiny and only weighs 20g!) Definitely recommended.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • stubs
    Thanks guys I need something dropped my chain on my last 3 rides. Going to bend something soon if I am not careful.
  • stubs
    Got an order in for a Red guide, not in stock at the moment but Roger at Bionicon hopes to have them in stock soon. He has some stock in Green, Blue and Pink if anyones interested. If the Red ones dont appear after a couple of weeks might change to any colour thats still in stock. Really looking forward to it dropped my chain again at weekend :x

Going to try a ghetto version made from zip ties and a piece of plastic pipe, might look crap but hopefully stop the chain drop.
  • bennett_346
    edited April 2012
    stubs wrote:
    Got an order in for a Red guide, not in stock at the moment but Roger at Bionicon hopes to have them in stock soon. He has some stock in Green, Blue and Pink if anyones interested. If the Red ones dont appear after a couple of weeks might change to any colour thats still in stock. Really looking forward to it dropped my chain again at weekend :x

Going to try a ghetto version made from zip ties and a piece of plastic pipe, might look crap but hopefully stop the chain drop.
    I made my own out of a rear reflector mount: see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwze3onhApA

Cable tied to the derailer cable and some heat shrinked plastic inserted for durability. Never dropped my chain since and cost me nothing!
  • bennett_346
    double post
  • stubs
    bennet_346 I have seen your vid just commented on it. However I am in a bit of a biketart mood at the mo want shiny red want want :lol:

Be trying your version at weekend.
  • bennett_346
    Cool. I tried a few things but the thing to be careful of is making sure the chain doesn't drag on the device, so you need an elongated mount to cable tie onto the cable. Other than that just get creative and you'll end up with something vaguely useable ;)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Reckon it'd help stop / aid against chain suck too as well as dropped chains? Or is it one and the same?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    May give this a try on the Anthem - only seems to be available from bike-mailorder.de in Europe. Does anywhere else do them?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i been thinking of one of these seem though i could not get the blackspire one to fit my hardtail with noir crank..

is there a uk shop that stocks these????
  • Just send an email off to Bionicon UK, they'll sort you out.

roger.seal at bionicon.com