missed training days

mog812
mog812 Posts: 66
Hi...
Currently, I am now on week 3, of my 12 week training guide, however due to family, work, and other unforeseen eventualities, I have been forced on more than one occasion to shuffle my days around, or to miss them altogether...
So...
I was wondering, as to what you do, if/when you miss a day when you was suppose to train?

Many Thanks.

Mog.

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Don't worry about it,life gets in the way sometimes-i have a 2 year old and work 12 hour nights-just do what you can when you can.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Some sessions are more important than others. If you miss a key session then I'd probably try to substitute that session for a tempo ride session (or similar) instead.
    More problems but still living....
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    I'm in a similar boat to most people re: kids/work/etc. and being 4 weeks into a 20 week prep for 100 miles (from 0 miles)
    Best thing I've done to combat time constraints is buy a turbo trainer and set it up in the garage.
    Even if it ends up being 9 o'clock at night or later, I can still go and fit an hour in downstairs and keep my legs turning during the week (and I've never slept better!). Then I'm still ready for my big ride of the weekend - and I always have an open mind as to whether that will be saturday or sunday. When the opportunity presents itself, I just go (at the minute that means a 2 hour window, as the mileage increases my wife will have to be more understanding).
    If it's saturday and I only trained the night before on the turbo, I'll make it an easier but longer ride. If it's sunday I'll throw a couple of good climbs in.
    As long as I can increase the weekend long ride by the suggested amount in the guide as the weeks go by, I'm happy.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    Yep, Life gets in the way sometimes.
    Best to have a plan and stick to it as best you can, but I still reckon you can miss 10-15% of your plan and remain on target. Just don't make it become a habit.
    I too have a 12 week plan, I'm onto week 9 and have missed only 4 sessions. Normally colds etc. are the things that stop me training but I've been very lucky this year.......Atchooooo. Oh No.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • mog812
    mog812 Posts: 66
    lol StorckSpeed...
    and thank you all for the info/help/advice
    Don't feel so bad now
    Thanks again.

Mog.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I have a day off work the next day and do double the training.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!