Help! Clicking driving me mad!

OSOH
OSOH Posts: 153
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

Wondered if anyone has any ideas please. Basically, I'm getting a clicking noise on my bike, on every pedal rotation - seems like it's when I push down on the right pedal (flat pedals). Also happens when I'm out of the saddle and pedalling, but doesn't happen when I'm not pedalling.

The left pedal didn't seem to turn very freely, so I wondered if it was related to this. Managed to remove and take apart both pedals, clean and grease the bearings, and much to my surprise and relief I then managed to put them back together and on the bike. Unfortunately, the clicking is still there, mocking me :(

Doesn't seem to be any movement in the cranks. Does anybody please have any thoughts? Is it worth replacing the pedal bearings instead of just greasing them, or is this unlikely to be the cause?

Thanks for reading!
It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    My bike has also developed this (flat pedals also) only mine is on the left pedal. I haven't got a clue what it could be so hopefully someone will be along to help us out :lol:

My bike is only 3 months old and done just over 200 miles so hopefully it'll be nothing serious :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Long shot but I once had that and it was crank catching the excess inner wire from FD on each rotation ...
  • OSOH
    OSOH Posts: 153
    Haha yes had that in the past, thanks for the suggestion, different noise this time though, and it does seem to be when I push down on the right pedal. So frustrating after going to all the effort of taking the pedals apart, removing and greasing all the bearings, etc.

Here's hoping for a solution, for both myself and Andy46!!
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • andy46
    I've given up on mine, it's going to the lbs :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I've given up on my LBS...

One of my bikes seems to be making more noises by the week and the LBS said they couldnt find anything wrong but they had adjusted the indexing to see if that would help - totally messed up the front indexing and the rear needed a tweak too!
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    Have you tried removing the bolts that connect the drive side crank to the chain rings, one at a time, and greasing them before replacing?
    Nick
  • Don't want to divert thread ... But Andy can you recommend a good lbs in our area? So if you get a solution to your click and post how the lbs did sorting it that would keep thread on topic and give me my info ( I despair of finding an lbs that gives a ...... For anything other than getting paid and turnover no craftsmanship or care evident)
  • andy46
    Don't want to divert thread ... But Andy can you recommend a good lbs in our area? So if you get a solution to your click and post how the lbs did sorting it that would keep thread on topic and give me my info ( I despair of finding an lbs that gives a ...... For anything other than getting paid and turnover no craftsmanship or care evident)

As I'm going away this weekend it'll be Monday/Tuesday when I get to the shop. I'll put an update on here though when I get to the bottom of it (hopefully it won't be something I've missed) :oops:

I'll send you a PM so we don't go off topic :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Appreciated - but if you get/know of a good lbs with quality service might be nice to post about it as well to give them publicity?
  • andy46
    Appreciated - but if you get/know of a good lbs with quality service might be nice to post about it as well to give them publicity?

I'll let you know if I find one worthy :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    As they are flat pedals it can't be cleats. Could it be your shoe ?
    Or spoke magnet too close which touches when you put power down when pedalling.
    Or Bottom bracket needs re-fitting ?
    Seat post, handlebar/stem ?
    The list goes on.
  • andy46
    Checked magnet, pedals and seat post clamp. Then checked handlebars and stem.

I think it's coming from the bottom bracket personally, it's at the shop now getting checked over. I get it back on Tuesday hopefully so I'll let you all know how it goes and with a bit of luck I will have a silent bike again :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• My Garmin magnet keeps twisting and catching the sensor - is it twisted/clearing the sensor ?
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • andy46
    My Garmin magnet keeps twisting and catching the sensor - is it twisted/clearing the sensor ?

Yes it is easily clearing the sensor, I really can't pin point what it is. It does sound as if it's coming from the BB area as it only does it when pedaling.

Also when turning the cranks by hand, you can't hear it but you can "feel" something :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• andy46
    Well, I've got my bike back from the LBS. The guy there has took it out for a spin and said he couldn't hear anything so he has re-indexed the gears, took the cranks and bottom bracket off and re-fitted them and re torqued all bolts.

I just need the weather to clear up so I can get out on it, it's blowing a gale here with heavy rain :(

Hopefully it'll all be running smoothly again, the guy at the shop complimented how nice a bike it was to ride which was nice to hear. He also didn't charge me anything which is nice of him :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    Try tightening up the chainring bolts. Same symptoms as yours, it drove me nuts for ages, did that and all was well.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

I had it just after a new bb install. turned out to be all the bolts that connect the front chainrings to the front spider. you need a special tool though to anchor the inner side (not a screw driver or a 2 p) while you tighten the allen bolts.

sometimes the clamp that holds the front mech on is a little loose and creaks.