RichN95. Posts: 27,150
edited June 2016 in Pro race
Who is your favourite?

Tom or Fab?
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• RichN95.
    Ignore the typo. I've been drinking Duvel in prep.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    Duvel for me as well this evening : )

Booooooooooooonen
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ignore the typo. I've been drinking Duvel in prep.

What typo? ;)
  • Which classics, all of them? The spring ones, cobbled ones or just Flanders and Roubaix?
  • RichN95.
    Which classics, all of them? The spring ones, cobbled ones or just Flanders and Roubaix?

Doesn't matter. Who is your favourite? No details.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Which classics, all of them? The spring ones, cobbled ones or just Flanders and Roubaix?

Doesn't matter. Who is your favourite? No details.

As long as it's either Boonen or Cancellara. OK, my favourite is Emma Pooley. :D
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Duvel for me as well this evening : )
    You fools!! You'll never last... you've got to start on something below 6.5% (Kwaremont-ish?), THEN move UP to the eight point-fivers (yer Koppenbergers/Patenbergers, etc).

You're like some Ignatiev mental breakaway...
  • Jacky Durand drinking tactics.
  • RichN95.
    Look. We all like Jacky Durand. But this is a simple, binary choice. Tom or Fabian. No more, no less,
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Cancellara

Tactically thick as pig sh!t but you have to admire a man who'll try to ride the world off his back wheel again and again.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Heart says Tommeke.
    Head says Spartacus.
  • Tusher wrote:
    Heart says Tommeke.
    Head says Spartacus.

I thought Cancellara was Tony M? And I have seen banners at Roubaix for Bom Toonen! Just want to be clear on nicknames before I make a pick.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    I have trouble getting hold of Duvel :-(

Might crack open a Gueuze though in honour of Tommeke.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    I reckon Tom has more options for victory....Canc has one option which is to try and distance everybody, however Tom has a few options, he can hold his own in breaks with everyone (save Canc) and can probably outsprint the other contenders if it ll gets neutralised and a bunch gets to the end. OPQS is far more useful that RNT as a team too.

I reckon both will be on the podium though....

Personally, i have a 65k MTB race in the morning, and I ve stocked up on wurst and kaas, and will stop by the take away and get myself some bitterballen and frikandel for my post ride blow out!* I have one Duvel left, but will need to find a couple more - although I'm concerned thy might put me to sleep!

*Frits, not so good from anywhere nearby...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    Personally, i have a 65k MTB race in the morning, and I ve stocked up on wurst and kaas, and will stop by the take away and get myself some bitterballen and frikandel for my post ride blow out!* I have one Duvel left, but will need to find a couple more - although I'm concerned thy might put me to sleep!

Dat is een beetje TE nederlands voor de ronde, toch?

Je zou beter dat met een vaasje Amstel over een paar weken eten.
  • RichN95.
    This pole is about who you prefer, not who you think will win.

I like them both, but Tom has that little something extra (coke).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tom obviously. Chinny has no soul

The more important question is directed at ddraver. Who is this Jens Voight character? Is he related to Jens "pass the shovel" Voigt by any chance? :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    iainf72 wrote:

This. Marvellous athlete and all that, but.... leaves me utterly cold.

That's not to say that Tom get's me hot, not in a Rick Chasey sort of way at any rate :wink:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Boonen for me :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    iainf72 wrote:

The more important question is directed at ddraver. Who is this Jens Voight character? Is he related to Jens "pass the shovel" Voigt by any chance? :P

Iain, prefering a sprinter????????? This just in, Hell has frozen over and some pigs have been spotted doing loop the loops!

My Jens is a super cool, East German Super-domestique/Rouler, with 6 kids and a very cool outlook on cycling - often gets compared to some other loser for some reason.... :|
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:

Iain, prefering a sprinter????????? This just in, Hell has frozen over and some pigs have been spotted doing loop the loops!

Tom isn't a sprinter. He's a norther classics man who can sprint a bit. Brother won his first Flanders solo, lets not forget.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Tom isn't a sprinter. He's a norther classics man who can sprint a bit. Brother won his first Flanders solo, lets not forget.

To everyone's surprise!

He won on the Champs Elysee the year before.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Tom has the boy-next-door persona- he's attractive to both men and women over several generations in that he's got that special quality that makes you want to-
    a) be his best mate
    b) rip his clothes off and make mad, wild passionate love to him
    c) mother him
    d) grandmother him
    e) wish he was your big brother

but not all at the same time.

Thus he manages to attract the vast majority of the population. Cavendish also posses this quality (obviously not to Iain, of course), so does Robbie Williams. And David Walliams. And David Tennant.

Canc doesn't. It's a shame, but he just doesn't.

Although, does anyone know if the Swiss revere him as the Flemish do Boonen?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Tusher wrote:
    Tom has the boy-next-door persona- he's attractive to both men and women over several generations in that he's got that special quality that makes you want to-
    a) be his best mate
    b) rip his clothes off and make mad, wild passionate love to him
    c) mother him
    d) grandmother him
    e) wish he was your big brother

but not all at the same time.

Thus he manages to attract the vast majority of the population. Cavendish also posses this quality (obviously not to Iain, of course), so does Robbie Williams. And David Walliams. And David Tennant.

Canc doesn't. It's a shame, but he just doesn't.

Although, does anyone know if the Swiss revere him as the Flemish do Boonen?

You don't know any men, do you?
  • Well I seem to be in the minority but Cancellara does it for me! Fabianese makes him even more special too. Still feeling gutted about what happened to him today.
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen's won more monuments.

6!

This season, he was 2nd in Het Niewsblad, and so far has won E3, G-W and the Ronde.

I mean, :shock:.

We think this is normal because it's Boonen, but it really isn't.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Yeah, but Chinny never cacked his shorts live on international TV. Boonens a dirty, dirty boy.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:
    Yeah, but Chinny never cacked his shorts live on international TV. Boonens a dirty, dirty boy.

:shock:

Pics or it didn't happen?!?!?
  • rick_chasey
    photopress13023_600.jpg
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LangerDan wrote:

:shock:

Pics or it didn't happen?!?!?

Roubaix 2007 - Boonen had stomach trouble and spent much of the race "touching cloth", before an unfortunate "follow-through" incident in the last section of the race.

image0028.jpg

There were more, eerrrr, vivid, shots during the live coverage but I think you may need to take out subscription to see that sort of video.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'