Urgent advice needed please!

loxster71
loxster71 Posts: 269
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Help needed as time is running out lol!
Got the chance to aquire a road bike frame set ( frame,fork and headset ), i have virtually enough parts from upgrading my mountain bike to completely build up this road bike frameset to a flat bar bike, But and here's my question....Will they fit the frame??
I havn't a clue and don't want to waste my money on the frame set if it's no good to me! :?

Please advise me if it will be ok or what i need to know to do.

Thanks J.
Giant Trance X3
Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Exactly what groupset have you pulled together (Heinz 57??) and what bits are you hoping to use, e.g., shifters, BB?, chainset, front/rear mech?, wheels??

Need a bit more tech spec to go on.
  • loxster71
    Hi,
    Got deore shifters and front mech, Deore triple chainset, SLX rear mech and seat post and stem that will fit, A mates got a set of mavic aksiums( complete with tyres etc) i can have fairly cheap as well.
    Only things i think i'd need if all that fits are Bars,Brakes and new cables unless i've missed something.

Thanks .
    Giant Trance X3
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You may have an issue with the brakes - the road frame will, no-doubt, have caliper mounting. the deore levers will be for v-brakes. The cable pull is different comparing vees and calipers. So you may need to get flat-bar brake levers for calipers and seperate Shimano MTB gear levers (I'm not sure if there's such as thing - not being in to MTBs).
  • loxster71
    Hi,
    I don't have any brake levers yet so i can always get some flat bar brake levers ( like Avid speed dial for example),so apart from that will everything ele work on it??

Thanks.
    Giant Trance X3
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Out of that lot I'd say the only possible issue could be the front mech and seatpost. That all depends on the size of the seat tube on your new frame.

That said a front mech is onyl a few quid no biggy there!