alp d'heuz help

jedi1967
jedi1967 Posts: 38
edited March 2012 in Tour & expedition
I 've been by car few years ago for 2 weeks !!
This time for my mates 40th he what to do d'heuz over a long weekend.
So I need advice on flights, car / van hire ,and where to stay.
and how much if pos..
thanks

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    How many of you are going? Would you be willing to drive there again? this will be your cheapest bet im pretty sure, especially if you split the driving.

When we were there we were in a motorhome so i cant really recommend any hotels, but there are lots!

Guessing Lyon would be the place to fly to, easyjet go there from Bristol, Edinburgh, Liverpool, London. Its about a 2hr drive from there, and i would just go with the cheapest car hire company.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • 2 maybe 3
    could drive but its traveling time may to long,
    we would be going from the mildlands.
    ta
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    We're doing a week at the Eurocamp place about 10k west of Bourg d'Oisans in June - Google Le Belledonne. Not sure if they do w/ends though. There's a campsite right at the foot of the Alpe that I've seen mentioned on threads before. Flying from Stansted to Lyon with Easy Jet (£180 for four when we booked a couple of weeks ago) and hiring car there. Google Bourg d'Oisans accomodation / camping and you'll get plenty of ideas.
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    You can get easyjet from Stansted to Lyon (Friday to Tuesday I think)
    Then a large size hire car should be ok for 3 and 3 bikes. A Berlingo should cost about 150 quid.
    1h30m drive up to Bourg d'Oisans then check into the Hotel Milan - basic but cheap and the rooms are clean, water is hot and the breakfast is as big as you want.
    You'll get an extra day to ride the Glandon / Croix de Fer doing it this way.

Then again you could do The Ventoux instead 8)
  • cheers all
    craig that sounds great
    done croix de fer love to do it again
    BUT need to tick off the Col du Galibier .Maybe do all 3 !!!

THANKS all
    jeza
  • We recommend the following websites for car rental. You even get a further 5% reduction on the second one. http://www.rentalcars.com/ http://www.rhinocarhire.com/pricebuster ... Lodge.aspx
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    We stayed in a Gites de France about 6 or 7 miles along from Bourg in Allemont.
    Great base.

Once you've done this, get your mate to do Ventoux and do your trip with Craig (above) :D
  • You can always fly to Geneva, it's about a 2 hour drive to Bourg d'Osions and you might get a flight from Birmingham? Good luck with the Galibier, 48km from Bourg!
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    If you want a hotel recommendation - Hotel Edelweiss at La Grave situated between Bourg d'Oisans and the Col du Lauteret. Excellent position, meals and hosts. Will be returning again.