Just picked up a Cube Ltd heading back to Surrey

MrCubeLtd
MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello,
The last time I mountain biked seriously was 22 years ago. I had a 1988 Steel Frame Diamond Back :-)
I'm now 38 and 225 Lbs (about 2 stone overweight). Decided enough was enough, and have started training. I have a spinner bike at home for weight loss and stamina and to build up my leg muscles.

After about of week of visiting stores and looking online I just slapped down a deposit Cube Ltd in Black for £859.00 this morning from Clive Mitchell Cycles in Truro (Cornwall), with specialized gloves, topex mudguards and cage/bottle thrown in. All up about £60 worth of extras. Really happy with the bike and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow :-)

I am going to take it easy riding for the next 3 weeks as I am very out of shape. But once I move back to Surrey in May I want to start hitting the trails (easy ones at first). I need to build up my confidence and fitness gradually.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for places to go in Surrey for trails for beginners and then as time goes by for better trails etc

I will be based in Walton on Thames (Just on cusp of SW London).

Thanks
Toby
I'm pedalling as fast as I can!

Comments

• StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    You aren't too far from Swinley Forest where you are, which has loads of great trails and there are quite a few trails that are do-able if you are getting back into the sport. It's not too hilly either which might be good for you or not, depending what you are looking for. Alternatively there are the Surrey Hills, which are hillier and requires some knowledge of where the trails are, and is further away from Walton On Thames

Alternatively I'm sure there are plenty of bridleways around WoT.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Before you go back to Surrey drive to Bissoe and cycle across to Portreath for a cuppa/pint in the beach cafe before heading back. A nice gentle marked route.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Stefan P:
    Hey thanks for the good tip on Swinley. Just looked £2 for day permit which ain't bad for having a day blast and seeing how it goes. Definitely a plan for when I move back. Also good river run to teddington and beyond as well for a easy ride on the flat for someone like me who is out of shape :-)

Sandy771:
    I have my kids down from Surrey Easter and will be doing the camel trail with them. heard its a nice blast on the flat! Just waiting for my bike rack to turn up next week and I will check out the Portreath run you mentioned.

Thanks everyone.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Just picked her up - a thing of beauty!

I live in a one bed flat so space is a premium but still enough room for the Cube
  • Hi, I'm new to the forums but noticed your post as it refers to the Cube LTD.
    Just looking at one myself which would be my first trail bike as i have only risen hybrid Cannondale before.
    Is yours the 26" or the 29" and would you have any advice on which to go for as i am undecided at the moment.
    I've got it down to the Cube LTD or the new On-One thats out at the end of May But thats a steel frame hard tail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Hi Shaky, if I'm being dead honest I don't know much about bikes anymore as 22 years out the loop, and even then I didn't know much just rode them.

I wanted something that would give me good coverage once I get back into the saddle properly with stamina and skill set up to scratch. I was tooing and frowing with a 26" or a 29" but in the end I went with the 26" as it is what I was used to, the 29" didn't feel right. I rode both and feel in love with the Ltd. Bang for buck, you get a lot for the money.

Are there any better bikes out there for the same money? I don't know - hopefully someone more knowing can answer that for you. I guess do what I did and most people, ride and try within limitation as many bikes as possible to get a feel for correct size, manufacturer, components and most of all does it give you a smile on your face. The Ltd did for me hence the purchase.

Hope this helps :D
  • MrCubeLtd
    Need some help please.

Can anyone tell me what inner tube and type needed for my bike? I want to keep one as spare for when on a ride etc

The wheels are 26" and on the tyre is says 26 x 2:25

Thanks
  • Inner tube will be 26"x 2. 2 so same as the tyre

Though any inners that are 26" x 2 will be fine.

Get Presta valve as they hold air best and just the bees knees.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • gazhurst
    gazhurst Posts: 75
    MrCube,

I used to live in Walton but am now in Staines....I regularly ride at Swinley and in the year I've been riding off road I've learnt loads from getting out whenever I can.

Have a look at www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk, predominantly a road cycling club however there are a few of us that have mtb as our primary choice and race regularly. The wheelers also have quite a few members in Walton
  • MrCubeLtd
    Thanks for the help.

Would these be ok?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41990
    Looking at the 26 x 2.1-2.6 Presta. Am I on the right track?
  • gazhurst
    gazhurst Posts: 75
    Personally I'd just go into to Specialized Concept store, Evans cycles or East Street Cycles in Walton and get some tubes. The Specialized ones are the best in my experience
  • MrCubeLtd
    Thanks Gaz.

I'm still in Newquay until end of April. I know East Street Cycles well, just up the road from the new Heart Complex and Wagamama's :D

Think I'll pop back into the bike store monday where I brought the bike and pick up some tubes.

Thanks for the link for local cycle groups - will definitely give them a shout once I have moved back.
  • Cheers MrCube

Going to a local shop on Monday to test ride a Cube Then Going to test ride the On-One 456 Evo X5 Sektor here if you want to have a look http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOO4561X5

Should give me a good idea whether to go with the aluminium frame of the Cube or the steel of the On-One. I'm currently at 6' and 15 1/2 stone so don't know whether the aluminium would stand up to the battering over rougher ground although the weight is coming down slowly.

Thanks for the reply and hopefully will be in possession of a new bike next week.

Happy trailing.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Hi Shakey, the Cube holds me well. I am 5ft 10.5" and 15st 13Lbs. Bike feels solid and does compensate for my sketchy riding.
  • surreymtb
    surreymtb Posts: 26
    MrCubeLtd wrote:
    Need some help please.

Can anyone tell me what inner tube and type needed for my bike? I want to keep one as spare for when on a ride etc

The wheels are 26" and on the tyre is says 26 x 2:25

Thanks

I have a Cube Acid. One thing I have found is that the rims take Schrader long valves, so from all my LBS I can only get continental or schwalbe inner tubes to fit. Raleigh are supposed to be ok but I found they didn't sit well - now that could be down to me being sh*t fitting them (likely :p) but the valve was very tight. I share this info so you don't go and buy an short valve version then are out in the forest with a tube that doesn't fit! :mrgreen:

Incidentally you can, according to one of my lbs you get an adaptor (cost 99p) to fit inside the rim which will allow you to use any Presta valve so thats an option too.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Thanks SurreyMtb - should save me a potential headache regarding inner tubes :-)

Just popped back to the store I brought the bike from and got sorted out with a Specialized Tube for Schrader as you recommended.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Does anyone use Topeak Saddle Bags?

I have a mini pump, tyre levers, inner tube and small wrap around lock. Want to store them under my seat. Would a Medium be more suited or get away with a small?

Does the medium come up quite big under the seat?
    Thanks
  • surreymtb
    MrCubeLtd wrote:
    Does anyone use Topeak Saddle Bags?

I have a mini pump, tyre levers, inner tube and small wrap around lock. Want to store them under my seat. Would a Medium be more suited or get away with a small?

Does the medium come up quite big under the seat?
    Thanks

Yep I use one...though to be honest Im not sure if it's a medium or large! Not much help I know but perhaps the pic might help!

img0541fuk.jpg

It is pretty big I guess but I have never found it has got in the way even with me getting over the back wheel, its level with the end of the seat in my case.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Cool thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Thing is I didn't remember about the saddle bag til I had left the shop and was driving home. Will have to go back Monday with my stuff and see if they fit into a small or medium.

:D
  • surreymtb
    MrCubeLtd wrote:
    Cool thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Thing is I didn't remember about the saddle bag til I had left the shop and was driving home. Will have to go back Monday with my stuff and see if they fit into a small or medium.

No worries :-)

good idea, that way you can see what works for you.

I didn't have a choice,I bought when I got the bike as I don't have a car and had to ride the bike back home so I needed somewhere to store tube/multi tool/tyre leavers! :P
  • MrCubeLtd
    Its a 30 mile round trip to Truro and being overweight and still a smoker, think it was too much to ask, hence the car.
    I rode today for about 6.5 miles so not bad for starting out.
  • surreymtb
    THats way better than I did on my first trip out..a mile and half and I was dead..lol I was very overweight, still am overweight but since I got back into biking about 8 months ago I have lost 3 stone. Avg ride is about 25 miles now and did a hundred miles last week. Avg speed is between 8.5 and 10mph so getting there but my technical skills are crap! :D

Started running couple of weeks ago and man thats killing me..lol
  • MrCubeLtd
    Sorry should of said. 2.5miles on the MTB and 4miles on the spinner over 2 sessions. My legs are battered, but I am absolutely buzzing :D Weather permitting I want to ride every day for the next month before I move back.

ps I have been using my spinner for about a week every day before picking up my bike.

• MrCubeLtd
    Regarding topeak bag - I just found review on another site and the medium according to this person will fit inner tube, mobile, small tools. So definitely big enough for me.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Just had a result in sports direct...

Picked up MTB Muddy Fox leggings and Jersey long sleeved all in for £18.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Just pitching in my 2 pence worth...I've got an anodised black 2011 Cube LTD team and love it to bits.. it behaves beautifully on the trails as well as on tarmac.

Have slowly had to upgrade / replace a couple of bits on it but it does go through about 80 miles a week of torture.
    First thing to get chucked were the standard black and white grips as they just didn't match the rest of the bike ( yes I'm a tart) which got replaced by the black and red Cube Fritzz grips.

Next up was an upgrade on the front disc to 203mm and the rear disc to 180mm and then my bottom bracket gave out on me the other week so had to pick another one up.

Anyway enjoy the cube and I wish you many happy miles on it.
  • MrCubeLtd
    I have a rather expensive pair of Rayban's - been using them with the bike. They don't really offer eye protection and also due to my sketchy riding at some stage I am gonna ditch and send them flying.

Found these on Amazon...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... 00_details
    Basically they are Venitex smoked safety glasses with UV protection. £8.95 all in also got a clear pair coming for dark/night riding

I know they are not Oakley's etc - but for the money they are a good deal
  • MrCubeLtd
    Thanks for the vote of confidence P44 - yep I'm loving the bike so far. As for upgrades...
    a, I don't have enough experience to determine any upgrades
    b, the bike is more then enough for me as is
    c, I'm now skint for a few weeks

But I do see where you are coming from... Roll on the Cube Club :D
  • MrCubeLtd
    Can someone in the know please give me some advice on padded undershorts.

Found these on SportsDirect
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-pa ... ens-636175

Looking at buying them and wearing underneath my baggy shorts for riding as my backside is starting to hurt.

Would these be ok?
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    I've got a few pairs of those mate and for the money they do a reasonably decent job. I did find though that after about 3-4 months they need replacing as the padding tends to loose its affect after being washed loads.