Bike Book Critique

mitb
mitb Posts: 78
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Excuse the epic nature of this post, since I started my new job where there is absolutely nothing to do at lunchtime, I’ve read six books (versus none in the preceding 12 months..) most of them about cycling that I’d been meaning to catch up on for ages. Nothing new but thought I’d offer my briefish personal reviews, and ask for any recommendations of what to read next...

A Race for Madmen- the History of the Tour de France
Quite long but fascinating, every stage in the Tour’s history has its own character, scandal, inspiration, heroes and villains. Gives a real insight into the race, good for relative tour-noobs and experts alike I reckon.

It’s All About the Bike / Robert Penn
I’d seen the TV programme at least twice and really enjoyed it, the book adds quite a lot of depth and is written with a lovely passion and fondness for bikes, hard to resist if you feel the same. There are probably weightier books devoted to the subject but does a brilliant job of explaining the origins of cycling, and probably in as much detail as you really want. I know people have said it’s a bit self indulgent but it’s his money and the result is really interesting. Plus he must have sold easily enough books to finance the bike and the travel. Wish I’d thought of that...

Wide Eyed and Legless
I am going to commit cycling book heresy and say I was a little bit disappointed with this. It’s still very much worthwhile reading, brilliant characters, a true warts and all look behind the scenes. But I’d heard a brief review of the book which talked about the people and what happened ...well, that’s what happened. There were no surprises and stage reports seem like filler to me. They’re not wonderfully written and feel disjointed. Good if you like period reviews of races maybe. I did enjoy this but I’d had it built up as an incredible book. If I was being really cruel I think you could get all the good stuff in a wordy newspaper article, the books feels like it’s stretching it.

In Pursuit of Greatness- Bradley Wiggins.
Really enjoyed this. I like Wiggo, I like the fact it’s not historical, we’ve seen his career changing and developing and it’s happening as we speak and he’s achieved a lot with the potential of more to come. It feels more ‘familiar’, easier to identify with a boy growing up in London in the 80’s than Bernard Hinault or whoever. My copy is updated for the 2009 TdF and I liked knowing stuff that Bradley didn’t when he wrote it (I believe it’s known as dramatic irony in literary terms), how he’d move away from track to road and Contador and breaking his collarbone last year and Cav going stellar. It’s also fairly personal without getting over schmaltzy. On a critical note some of the writing is clearly edited or ghost written and towards the end you do get slight déjà vu when you read another “I had to get it right / I was the best and should win easily but it could all go wrong / however it didn’t go wrong and I won” setup. Highly Recommended anyway.

The Death of Marco Pantani / Matt Rendell
Only about half way through so far but it’s very good. I will say he does do a bit of amateur psychology and you have to remember it’s just Matt Rendell’s opinion sometimes (there’s a bit about how he signed his name with Pantani sloping left and Marco sloping right and that it was like two halves of himself trying to escape each other or something..it’s a useful metaphor and all that but presented matter-of-fact when he is reading an awful lot into it), but Pantani’s a hugely interesting character and it’s a very engaging boook.

I think that’s it! Not sure what to read next...anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Nice reviews. Thanks.

I enjoyed David Millar's book. Definitely worth a read.
  • mitb
    That 's a good shout, I was waiting for it to be a bit cheaper (generally buy 2nd hand as all my lunchtime reads end up with bits of cheese sandwich in them anyway) but maybe I should just get on with it!
  • Put me back on my bike: In search of Tom Simpson - Epic book. Well worth a read.
    Racing through the dark - David Millar: also good
    We were young & carefree - Laurent Fignon. I found this a bit strange. Clearly actually written by Fignon. Very interesting though.
    Sex, lies & handlebar tape. Just finished this story of Jacques Anquetil. Again interesting.
    In search of Robert Millar. Definitely worth a read.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have read all of those books as well.

Currently reading Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage for the 2nd time, would recomend that as well.

How i WOn the yellow Jumper - Ned boulting,
    Fallen Angel - About Fausto Coppi
    Cavs biography.

I am going to pick up one of the Merckx books this weekend.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    How Cav Won the Green Jersey - Ned Boulting: a follow up to last year's 'How I Won the Yellow Jumper', this time out Ned takes a look back on the 2011 Tour de France. Not particularly long, you could easily get through this in one sitting but that's not the point. Easy to read, it's a lovely recollection of last year's Tour. Cheap at £2.69, and would like to think that it's something he can write up every year. I'd certainly keep buying...

French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France - Tim Moore: In short...a Guardian journalist decides to cycle the route of the 2000 Tour de France route for fun. The book starts well and has an amusing ending, but from about half way through to the final five pages or so is hard work; Moore seems to spend most the time moaning rather than enjoying / relaying the experience. I picked this up very cheaply, and would say whilst it's worth a read I'd have loathed paying full price come finishing.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • mitb
    I'm tempted by Fallen Angel, might be nice to continue the Italian theme. If you type Fallen Angel into Amazon without 'Coppi' you get a lot of mildly erotic Mills and Boon type housewife flusterers!
    How Cav Won..is kindle only as far as i can see, might be able to read it on my son's tablet or possibly my phone but it would be torture, and the cheese sandwich problems are worse...I suppose it'd be a bit of a pamphlet otherwise but i'd love to read it. Probably about £49 worth if printer ink assuming you can print an ebook!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Slaying the Badger: LeMond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour de France.

Really, really enjoyed this. Easy to read and packed full of interesting stories, interviews and anecdotes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The Hour - Michael Hutchinson's potted history of the hour record and an insight into what is involved in having a go yourself. A very easy holiday read, well written though with enough humour and interesting stories that I reckon even a non bike nerd might enjoy it.
  • mitb
    this is brilliant, I've got a lengthy wish list going! Has anyone read anything good (book wise) about Floyd Landis?Another interesting, flawed character from what i do know.
  • rubertoe
    Interesting about e-books - can they be printed? i dont have a kindle and am not inclined to purchase one either.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    The Escape Artist: Life from the Saddle, Matt Seaton.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Most already mentioned but here's my thoughts

Boy racer by Cav, really good read. Obviously not ghost written as you can hear him saying and believing each and every line you read

French Revolutions. I really enjoyed this, read it four or five times and enjoy it each time. I hear what you say about the moaning but i think it's truly reflectnig his mindset as he gets deep into the middle of what was a mammoth undertaking,. I mean anyone and i do mean anyone on here has probably done more cycling than Tim Moore did before he set off on this. great writing such as thew following

"A quick pre-shower biological inventory was generally reassuring. The hamstring twinge was much better once I’d Boardmaned my leg up on the cistern, and I was particularly pleased with my Savlon-slathered perineum, which assuming – ooh! – that was it, emitted only the bruised sensation one might expect to feel a week after falling awkwardly at a tap factory."

Ned Boulting; how i won the yellow jumper. Had to limit myself to one chapter a day. I loved this so much i could have read it in one sitting but wanted to extend the enjoyment. Typical quirky Ned stories. Interesting that he's issued another one, i did not know that.

Roule Brittania. A superb read detailing all the Brits who ever rode Le Tour from it's early days to the current domination of Cav in the sprints and Wiggo's challenge. really, really enjoyable

In search of Robert Millar, only halfway through this at the moment but really well written by a keen fan of cycling and Millar

Rough Ride: a brutal book, really eye opening. Would struggle to say i enjoyed it but it certainly explodes any myths about cycle racing.

The Hungry Cyclist; an interesting read that is more about cooking and eating exotic food than cycling but enjoyable anyway. Tom K-D rides the Americas sampling local cuisine along the way. With colour pics and a website for more details and pics

Check here for more; Top 50 cycling books
    FCN = 4
  • my recommendations

The Hungry Cyclist: Pedalling The Americas In Search Of The Perfect Meal - an odd mix of subject that strangely works.

Snow on the Equator (Collected in The Seven Mountain-Travel Books) by H W Tilman
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • mitb
    i thought The Escape Artist looked really good but also a bit sad. I've ordered it as it was only £2.81 2nd hand but I might come back from lunch breaks a bit emo! "Yeah, hayfever's killer this time of year..."
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Put me back on my bike: In search of Tom Simpson - Epic book. Well worth a read.
    We were young & carefree - Laurent Fignon. I found this a bit strange. Clearly actually written by Fignon. Very interesting though.
    <snip - not read the anguetil one>

4 great books all well worth reading.

Ned Boultings 'yellow jumper' is worth it too but not if you're after an insightful book about cycling, its more a genial meander through the sideshow

Rough Ride - long time since I read it but its stuck with me and explains a lot of why PK is quite as strident in his views as he is.

One I'd avoid is Slaying the Badger, LeMond and Hinault supposedly centering on the 86 TdF. its 200 pages too long, very repetitive and gets terribly boring (Hinault is a grumpy sod and LeMond is bouncy but a bit odd - you don't need 30 different examples spread over a few pages each to hammer you into submission with these revelations), Also for a book charting the dual for supremecy between the two, LeMond barely gets any page time vs le Blaireau so far. I've been half way through it since before christmas and don't care if I finish it or not.

off cycling : Victoria Coren's For Richer for Poorer is a decent read, part autobiography part interspersed with her $1 million poker winning tournament
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    mitb wrote:
    i thought The Escape Artist looked really good but also a bit sad. I've ordered it as it was only £2.81 2nd hand but I might come back from lunch breaks a bit emo! "Yeah, hayfever's killer this time of year..."

It is a bit sad really, and prompts some reflection. But it is a page turner, I found it very difficult to put down. I read it before I was even slightly interested in cycling and still enjoyed it immensely.
  • rubertoe
    Put me back on my bike: In search of Tom Simpson - Epic book. Well worth a read.
    <snip - not read the anguetil one>

off cycling : Victoria Coren's For Richer for Poorer is a decent read, part autobiography part interspersed with her $1 million poker winning tournament

I loved this book - but then i am big poker as well as Vicktoria and tend to read a few poker biographies.

Has anyone read "tomorrow we ride" by Jean Bobet? - as this is on my wanted list.

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    One I'd avoid is Slaying the Badger

Horses for courses - I'm thoroughly enjoying reading it. The only repetetive bit I've found so far is the bit about the box of postcards where the toilet should be and that's funny enough to bear re-telling.

I found Wiggo's biography rather dull, just a list of races and how he felt about each one. It didn't really give me much of an insight into who he is and what really drives him.

Boy Racer on the other hand was a great read.

How I Won the Yellow Jumper and Racing Through the Dark are on my to-read pile.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Recently read The Rider, which I thought was really good. Fictional Race, from the inside one of the rider's head.

Fallen Angel (Coppi) was hard work at times. Religion and relationships are a large part of the story, which I just couldn't care enough about. But other parts were good.

Rough Ride is an interesting read.

French Revolutions is a nice option.

No-one's mentioned It's Not About The Bike. Great story/book no matter what you think of the man.
    exercise.png
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    TheStone wrote:
    No-one's mentioned It's Not About The Bike. Great story/book no matter what you think of the man.

Yeah, I think we all took that as 'read' (pun intended). Another good book
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

I read that years ago, knowing what I know no, what a load of drivel.

As for the Escape Artist, absolutely fantastic, I think is once of the best cycling reads and i've got through many of the above.

From Lance to Landis - those fanboys may not like it but it's worth knowing the other side of the story and learn the motivation to dick on anyone you see out riding with a livestrong cockring on.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    An unusual read is 'A Dog In A Hat' by Joe Parkin. Telling the tale of a very good rider who experiences good & ill fortune through his career. I become utterly exasperated by his selfish and obsessive behaviour, which is plainly told, until I realised that this is 'normal' for a young man who wishes to attain a position in the professional peloton. By the end my regard for Mr Parkin was re-built and I felt better for having read it. The Laurent Fignon book is revealing and well written in a style which is different from most anglophone autobiographies. I have the Eddie Merckx 'Half Man, Half Bike' book on the Kindle alongside Graeme Obree's autobiography which I am finding 'heavy weather'. Richard Moore's 'In Search Of Robert Millar' is probably my favourite cycling book, although Michael Hutchinson's 'The Hour' is a great read.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    The Rider by Tim Krabbé

A short novel depicting a fictional race at the Tour du Mont Aigoual. The writer is a cyclist and a chess champion, and draws upon his experience of both to provide an insight into the mind of an amateur racer, not only having to deal with the actual race but also the mental battle that goes on within his head. It might sound a little dry, but it's very easy to read, written in a whimsical style with equal amounts of facts, folklore and dry humour thrown in; and enough metaphors for the existentialists amongst us to mull over.

The book was originally written in Dutch in 1978 but appears to have translated to English really well, and is as relevant today as it was over 30 years ago. The first copy I had I lent to a mate who lost it, but I liked it so much I bought it again.

An excerpt here....Amazon
  • I found Armstrong's book unreadable and gave up halfway through. REALLY badly written IMO. But I did quite enjoy Geoff Thomas' "Riding Through The Storm", which in some ways copies the style of Lance's book. Weird.
    Precis: Former pro-footballer has cancer, survives and rides the TdF route with others for charity (Charity foundation still going strong). His footballing career is woven into the story too. I couldn't be less interested in football but a good read all the same.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

I read that years ago, knowing what I know no, what a load of drivel.

As for the Escape Artist, absolutely fantastic, I think is once of the best cycling reads and i've got through many of the above.

From Lance to Landis - those fanboys may not like it but it's worth knowing the other side of the story and learn the motivation to dick on anyone you see out riding with a livestrong cockring on.

I only recently read It's Not About the Bike and I thought it was an amazing tale of victory in the face of adversity, but this was before I'd heard anything much about the doping allegations. It's all a terrible shame because we can't really afford to have any cycling heroes as the chances that they will have been involved in doping at one stage or another is almost certain. I want to learn more about Eddy Merckx, but he was involved with it too!