Vibram Fivefingers

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited March 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Has anyone bought any lately? Wheres the best place to buy?

Bought my last pair on Purekit but they are totally out.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bought my last lot direct.

Fair price.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    They had them on http://www.sportpursuit.co.uk/ a few weeks ago but I bought my two pairs on Amazon. I'm buying another pair when I go to Canada next month. Adidas are also copying them now but I'm going to stick to the vibrams out of principal!
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    excuse ingnorance but whats so speshul about them
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like a gay sex toy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IcarusGreen
    mak3m wrote:
    Potential Benefits of Barefoot Running

While going barefoot or wearing the new minimal footwear may not cure all that ails you, there are some very compelling arguments for going shoeless, or at least wearing the least amount of shoe possible.
    You may develop a more natural gait and strengthen the muscles, tendons and ligaments of the foot.
    Removing the heel lift of most shoes helps the Achilles tendon and calf muscle stretch and lengthen and may reduce injuries, such as calf pulls or Achillies tendinitis caused by short, tight tissues.
    Runners will learn to land on the forefoot rather then the heel. The heel strike during running only came about because of the excessive padding of running shoes, but research shows this isn't the most effective natural running stride. Landing on the heel is essentially putting on the breaks every step. The most efficient runners land on the midfoot and keep their strides smooth, light and flowing. Landing on the forefoot also allows your arches to act as natural shock absorbers.
    You may improve balance and proprioception. Without shoes, you activate the smaller muscles in your feet, ankles, legs, and hips that are responsible for better balance and coordination.
    You may feel more grounded. Being barefoot helps you improve balance, but it also helps you stay grounded and connected with your environment. You'll learn to spread your toes and expand your foot while it becomes a more solid and connected base that supports all your movements.

I started using more minimalist trainers a few years ago after recommendations from my physiotherapist on the way a ran causing me knee and ITB problems, after a while I progressed onto the fivefingers and now have far fewer problems.

Basically they allow your body mechanics to work naturally - after all you wasn't born with shoes on!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    after all you wasn't born with shoes on![/b]

Thats not what my birth record says.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • IcarusGreen
    Andy wrote:

whilst searching for the above barefoot article I found this place http://www.5fingersuk.com/

New order of fivefingers are imminent!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    any of you guys had your valve caps stolen?
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • IcarusGreen
    Actually yes, some loser has stolen all four of them off my car. I means I'll have to spend a whole pound on a new set!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Andy wrote:
    but they are totally out.

Unlike anyone who buys a product called vibram 5 fingers, who are clearly still in the closet (which incidentally is where such a footwear monstrosity should stay)
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Andy wrote:

whilst searching for the above barefoot article I found this place http://www.5fingersuk.com/

That's a pretty good price for them! I've been looking at getting some for quite a while now. What sort of size do you go for? Is it pretty much your usual shoe size? One smaller?
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    bg13 wrote:
    any of you guys had your valve caps stolen?
    I haven't had mine stolen, but whilst checking the air pressure I dropped not one but two down a drain. Didn't bother replacing them, might just nick some off another car later.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Basically they allow your body mechanics to work naturally - after all you wasn't born with shoes on!
    Wow. In bold too, which means it must be true.
    Thing is, there's some very compelling arguments against them too.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Wow. In bold too, which means it must be true.
    Thing is, there's some very compelling arguments against them too.

One of them being that they look gash
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • But Fivefingers wearers can take their shoes off, while you naysayers will always be gormless neanderthals... :P
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    [
    I found this place http://www.5fingersuk.com/
    Here is a list of known fake Five Fingers retailers:

2bshoes.com
    45fingers.ru
    5f1ngersh0p.tk5
    fivefinger.net
    5fivefingers.com
    2010-five-fingers.com.........
    5fingersstore.com
    5fingerstore.com
    5fingersuk.com

http://birthdayshoes.com/these-are-not- ... toed-shoes

You are normally fortunate to find about 10% off older models - any site offering about 60% off the new stuff is pretty suspect.

VFFs are a bit like apple in the respect that enough people are buying them that they don't need to offer discounts and hence create almost cult-like groupies! They couldn't keep up with demand last year as it was!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Gazlar wrote:

One of them being that they look gash

You said 'Gash'. Heh heh. Heh
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank
    But Fivefingers wearers can take their shoes off, while you naysayers will always be gormless neanderthals... :P

'Neanderthal'? Nice opening gambit, flat-earther. :roll:

Anybody got an links to proper research about these types of shoes? Would be interested*.

*I used to walk about 2k miles a year and have found much of the vaulted 'minimalist' footwear failed to live up to the sales-speak. Something that actually works could be of interest.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• IcarusGreen
    [
    I found this place http://www.5fingersuk.com/
    Here is a list of known fake Five Fingers retailers:

2bshoes.com
    45fingers.ru
    5f1ngersh0p.tk5
    fivefinger.net
    5fivefingers.com
    2010-five-fingers.com.........
    5fingersstore.com
    5fingerstore.com
    5fingersuk.com

http://birthdayshoes.com/these-are-not- ... toed-shoes

You are normally fortunate to find about 10% off older models - any site offering about 60% off the new stuff is pretty suspect.

VFFs are a bit like apple in the respect that enough people are buying them that they don't need to offer discounts and hence create almost cult-like groupies! They couldn't keep up with demand last year as it was!

DOH!! A good job I haven't ordered from them yet.
    Andy wrote:

That's a pretty good price for them! I've been looking at getting some for quite a while now. What sort of size do you go for? Is it pretty much your usual shoe size? One smaller?

I'd try a pair on in a shop somewhere first, I normally wear a size 9 trainer and my fivefingers are size M42 and are 'snug'.

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Andy

Depends. You have to measure your foot and go with the longest measurement. The info is on their website
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Clank wrote:
    Anybody got an links to proper research about these types of shoes? Would be interested*.

*I used to walk about 2k miles a year and have found much of the vaulted 'minimalist' footwear failed to live up to the sales-speak. Something that actually works could be of interest.
    http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard. ... gTips.html
    Not quite research, but it's an interesting read.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    mak3m wrote:
    Potential Benefits of Barefoot Running

blah blah blah

cheers matey saved me a google

tbh at first i thought it was some kind of footglove fashion statement, which to my mind makes the wearer look speshul

but if they have purpose i was right in keeping my mouth shut cos the only time i run is when i have a particularly dirty kebab
  • Clank
    http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard. ... gTips.html
    Not quite research, but it's an interesting read.

Cheers Mr Mule

Interesting stuff, and I can find further reading using it. Ta.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just followed one of the links. You guys actually wear those things? In public? Seriously? No really, seriously?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andy
    cooldad wrote:
    huuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr