Fitting Elixir Brakes

iljs
iljs Posts: 78
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have just bought a trance X3 with Elixir 1 brakes fitted. I have Elixir R brakes on my old hard tail and would like to swap them. I have tried to do this using the Elixir 1 Post mounts and adaptors as the Elixir R were IS. When I installed my old brakes onto the new bike they rubbed even with lots of adjusting and setting up. Has anyone come across this before? Should the mounts be compatible? or do I need to order mounts for the Elixir R brakes sepratley?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Tim

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I think Avid have changed there disc rotor sizes recently are the discs exactly the same size.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So after fitting them did you go and bed them in?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iljs
    Bed them In? I thought that was for new brakes and pads. Even though they where rubbing should I have taking it for a quick ride? Would it be a good idea to leave the new rotors on and just swap the brakes?

Thanks again
    Tim
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They have moved so they are not the same as before. Every time the caliper is moved they will need to be bedded in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iljs
    Thanks, I will try again. Will I be OK leaving the new rotors on?
  • if they are the same size, or unless you have an adapter to accommodate the different sized rotor, but wither rotor should would with either caliper, just a case of size or rotor matching the adapter you have
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    As long as you've only swapped the lever, hose and caliper and left the discs and adaptors as they were they should be fine, Let them bed in.
    If you've tinkered with the rotors and adaptors then you need to give us a bit more info about the disc and adaptor sizes.